Computer crashed. How can I move the license to a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Had Office 2007 on a Windows XP system. It crashed and the system is unrecoverable. I want to reinstall Office 2007 on Windows 7 and move the license to a new computer. How can this be done?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hello Avabar,

If the Office is Retail Licensed then you simply install it on the new computer and Activate (you may be required to Activate by Phone, but that's just takes a few minutes more).
    NOTE: Normally you would also need to uninstall the Office off the old computer, but since the old computer, in this case, is non-funtional, this is not necessary.

If the Office is OEM Licensed then there may be a problem.  Generally, OEM Software is only licensed to be used on the first computer it is installed on.  So if your Office is an OEM version, it would not be licensed on the new computer.

The terms of the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) that governs your copy of Office, take precedence over anything I have said.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:36 AM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Hello Avabar,

There is no specific mechanism to move any given installed license from one computer to another.

There is enough "slack" built into the product activation system giving the consumer the benefit of any doubt regarding how many times your Office has been installed, so that you will not encounter any issues.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hello Avabar,

If the Office is Retail Licensed then you simply install it on the new computer and Activate (you may be required to Activate by Phone, but that's just takes a few minutes more).
    NOTE: Normally you would also need to uninstall the Office off the old computer, but since the old computer, in this case, is non-funtional, this is not necessary.

If the Office is OEM Licensed then there may be a problem.  Generally, OEM Software is only licensed to be used on the first computer it is installed on.  So if your Office is an OEM version, it would not be licensed on the new computer.

The terms of the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) that governs your copy of Office, take precedence over anything I have said.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:36 AM
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:33 AM
  • It is a 3 user license retail package of Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition. How will Microsoft know that I want to move the licence instead of using up a new user licence? I don't want to use up a new one, just move the one that crashed.

Monday, March 15, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Hello Avabar,

There is no specific mechanism to move any given installed license from one computer to another.

There is enough "slack" built into the product activation system giving the consumer the benefit of any doubt regarding how many times your Office has been installed, so that you will not encounter any issues.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:55 PM