Installing genuine XP on a new computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I bought a genuine copy of XP and installed it on my computer. Now i have a new computer and want to install my genuine copy of XP on it. Do i use the same product key? Do i need to uninstall XP from my old computer before taking it to the dump?

Thanks. Martin

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hello placek,

That means you have a full retail license for Windows XP, which permits you to move the license from one computer to another, so use the same disc and product key that you used before.  The product key should be printed on a yellow-orange Proof of License label on the back of the disc holder folder that was in the full retail product package.

If you are tossing the old computer, you can get rid of the old installation of XP and protect any sensitive personal information by first copying to the new computer any data that needs to be saved and then using a utility to securely wipe the hard disk drive.  An easy and effective utility is DBan Boot-and-Nuke.

• Marked as answer by placek Monday, December 13, 2010 9:03 PM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hello placek,

Look on your XP installation disc.

In the upper left quadrant, does it have

a.  Nothing

b. The word "Upgrade"

c.  The sentences, "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC."

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hi

It says none of the above. It says: "Do not make illegal copies"

Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Hello placek,

That means you have a full retail license for Windows XP, which permits you to move the license from one computer to another, so use the same disc and product key that you used before.  The product key should be printed on a yellow-orange Proof of License label on the back of the disc holder folder that was in the full retail product package.

If you are tossing the old computer, you can get rid of the old installation of XP and protect any sensitive personal information by first copying to the new computer any data that needs to be saved and then using a utility to securely wipe the hard disk drive.  An easy and effective utility is DBan Boot-and-Nuke.

• Marked as answer by placek Monday, December 13, 2010 9:03 PM
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:00 PM
  • thanks
    Monday, December 13, 2010 9:03 PM