Weird Permissions Issue.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I have a Windows Home Server running PP1, and a Vista Home Premium client. There's two user accounts involved, both of which seem to have no password or login issues with the Vista PC or the home server.

Under one of the accounts, I have intermittent issues with NTFS permissions when files are copied from the home server to the Vista PC. If I look at the files on the home server, the following permissions are set on the file:

SYSTEM - Full Control
    Homeserver\User2 - Full Control
    Homeserver\RO_J - Read & Execute
    Homeserver\RW_J - Full Control
    Homeserver\Administrators - Full Control

.. and everything works fine. If I copy that file from the home server to my Desktop on my Vista PC, sometimes the permissions don't seem to inherit properly, and it ends up looking like this:

SYSTEM - Full Control
    VistaPC\User2 - Full Control
    VistaPC\Administrators - Full Control

When this happens, I can't access the file as User2 unless I take ownership and then permission.

I've always been under the impression that if you copy a file to an NTFS volume from a network drive, the file will always inherit the permissions of it's new parent directory. So I can't explain why the permissions are being mangled in this way. So far i've tried resetting NTFS permissions on VistaPC's C:\users\User2 folder and all child folders and I've also resync'd the passwords between the client and the WHS.

Also, the usernames of the ACLs left over from the WHS arn't always visible - sometimes I just get 'account unknown' and the SID of the user on Homeserver. This never happens for the other user account, just User2.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    • Edited by ajc79 Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:08 PM more info
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:06 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.

I've realised I didn't write the permissions down correctly for when the file has been copied to the VistaPC. It's actually:

SYSTEM - Full Control
    Homeserver \User2 - Full Control

So this explains why User2 on Vista PC doesn't have access to the file, because it's referencing the account of Homeserver\User2, not VistaPC\User2.

Does it sound like a problem with the server, or the Vista PC - if the file is being copied to VistaPC, then not inheriting the permissions, perhaps it's VistaPC that's at fault - not the WHS?

If you are seeing User2 on any file/folder inside the Security tab on your server, it's your server.

No, it's not always been this way - it used to work properly.

Regarding Add-Ins, no.. i don't really use them and haven't installed any apart from the WHS Toolkit.

Do your permissions on the WHS not reference the user accounts at all?

Thanks..
    No.  The only groups that should be there are SYSTEM, RO_X, RW_X, and Administrators.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hi all. I have a Windows Home Server running PP1

You should update your server. PP2 is out now (at least in the USA).

and a Vista Home Premium client. There's two user accounts involved, both of which seem to have no password or login issues with the Vista PC or the home server.

Under one of the accounts, I have intermittent issues with NTFS permissions when files are copied from the home server to the Vista PC. If I look at the files on the home server, the following permissions are set on the file:

SYSTEM - Full Control
    Homeserver\User2 - Full Control
    Homeserver\Administrators - Full Control

That's not normal.  Your second line (User2) should not even be in the Security settings on your server.  (The rest are correct.)  Is it always from a specific share or shares?

.. and everything works fine. If I copy that file from the home server to my Desktop on my Vista PC, sometimes the permissions don't seem to inherit properly, and it ends up looking like this:

SYSTEM - Full Control
    VistaPC\User2 - Full Control

When this happens, I can't access the file as User2 unless I take ownership and then permission.

I've always been under the impression that if you copy a file to an NTFS volume from a network drive, the file will always inherit the permissions of it's new parent directory.

That's correct.

So I can't explain why the permissions are being mangled in this way. So far i've tried resetting NTFS permissions on VistaPC's C:\users\User2 folder and all child folders and I've also resync'd the passwords between the client and the WHS.

Also, the usernames of the ACLs left over from the WHS arn't always visible - sometimes I just get 'account unknown' and the SID of the user on Homeserver. This never happens for the other user account, just User2.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Has it always been like this?  Have you ever installed any add-ins/apps on your server (even if you have since removed it)?  If so, which ones?  You might need to try a Server Reinstallation because that is definitely not normal.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I've realised I didn't write the permissions down correctly for when the file has been copied to the VistaPC. It's actually:

SYSTEM - Full Control

So this explains why User2 on Vista PC doesn't have access to the file, because it's referencing the account of Homeserver\User2, not VistaPC\User2.

Does it sound like a problem with the server, or the Vista PC - if the file is being copied to VistaPC, then not inheriting the permissions, perhaps it's VistaPC that's at fault - not the WHS?

Regarding Add-Ins, no.. i don't really use them and haven't installed any apart from the WHS Toolkit.

Thanks..
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

SYSTEM - Full Control

If you are seeing User2 on any file/folder inside the Security tab on your server, it's your server.

Thanks..
    No.  The only groups that should be there are SYSTEM, RO_X, RW_X, and Administrators.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:07 PM