External USB HDD is not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've successfully installed WHS on an old computer (1,2GHz, USB 1.x) with two internal IDE HDD.
    I'd like to add to this server an external HDD connected via USB.

When I connect the drive for the 1st time, WHS installs an "Unknown Device" which becomes "Ready to use". A few seconds later another message appears saying "USB Device is not recognizable".

The device shows up on the Device Manager as "Unknown Device" under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and doesn't appear on "My Computer".

If I reboot in Safe Mode the device shows up on the Device Manager under Disk Drives with it's model name and is accessible via "My Computer".

I've tried the solution proposed at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314634 which worked but after a couple of reboots the problem started do happen again. I haven't been able to replicate  the solution.

Every other USB flash devices work properly and the disk works on any other computer.

Is it a drivers problem? Or is it because the computer only has USB 1.x (in this case would a USB 2.0 PCI card solve the problem)

Thank you in advance.

Pedro

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:34 PM

All replies

• You don't want to use USB 1.x for mass storage; it's far too slow. A USB2 PCI card will let the drive work, and should let Windows Home Server see and use it. But rather than that, I would recommend testing Windows Home Server on your current hardware, then when you're satisfied that it will do what you need, buy all new (modern) hardware for it. It will be more reliable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:50 PM
  • (would a USB 2.0 PCI card solve the problem) YES!!

Yes, as Ken mentioned above you need to get a PCI card with USB 2.0. As far as having to upgrade to new parts (Motherboard, CPU, Ram, HDD) that's really not necessary unless you have money to burn. What I mean by this is if you have had a system running 24x7 for awhile with no problems how much more reliable can it get with the old product. When you buy new you have no idea how reliable that product really is until it has had a few months running. If you look around you will find more system problems with the new than you will with the old and reliable. When I first started with WHS in 2007 I ran it with an old (2000) Abit KA7-100 running a slot A OC'd cpu and several sticks of OLD SD ram which this motherboard is still running and I have had no problems with this system or any other ANTIQUE system I have.

So, if you feel comfortable running old hardware as long as it can do the job than use it. If anything breaks you will and should ALWAYS keep backups of your data whether the system is new or old.

jd

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:37 PM
  • All new hardware will potentially have a juvenile failure issue, yes. But old hardware is prone to failures in mechanical (fans, disk drives, etc.) and some electical (caps, power supplies, etc.) components. Even electronic components can "wear out" with time and use. Plus it offers the opportunity to buy hardware that will support the next version of Windows Home Server, which is 64 bit only.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:29 PM