Help Building WHS Box RRS feed

• Question

• From reading this forum threads, it seems that I have a few things to consider. I was wondering if a few helpful souls could stir me into the right path to build my own box. I am not a newbie, but also not an expert.
    Here are my goals and restrictions:

1) I would like to use some existing parts that I have and that are just sitting there, if possible:
    a) Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    b) CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz
    c) Power:  Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W
    d) RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (4 x 512MB) DDR 400

2) I would place the server into a closet and would like to be as small as possible, but of course I will need to consider temperature

3) I need ample storage and plan to only add 1TB drives. I would like to eventually be able to use about 8-10 terabytes

4) I would prefer to only use 1 power source, thus using 1 case if possible, but would consider using external storage if not drawing much power.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, if you would be so kind to guide me to the light by sharing your almighty knowledge, I would forever be appreciative:

A) What case would be a better fit to store as many hard drives without setting the closet on fire :-)

B) What are my options (As far as configuration) to allow for expansion to up to 10 HDD - (Controllers, external HDD, RAID, eSATA, etc...). Please throw any info and let me know why you think it would be the best

C) What can I not / should not recycle from my parts above?

Thank you in advance for any insight and wisdom!

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:51 PM

All replies

• I know that you said you want "small"; but, that's at odds with cooling capability and ultimate storage capacity.
    CoolerMaster Centurion 5.  I have the non-window version for my Media Center server (currently loaded with 3 dual-tuner cards, 3 HDDs, and a Core2Duo E6300.)  Cooling is not a problem with this thing, it's quiet, and has a boatload of drive bays.  Very nice.

As for your recycling project:  I don't see too much problem with what you have. 

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:13 AM
  • There are numerous options available as you read through the threads. If you intend using what you have, the first thing to do, is see if any drivers that may be required, are available in a Server 2003 variety as that is what WHs is based on.

Colin

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:30 PM
  • I agree. By "Small" I meant whatever I can get away with. :-) Thank you for the input!
    Monday, January 14, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Colin,

I did go thru all threads I could possibly find, but I could not find a "final" solution or simple answer as of what I would need to consider for that many hard drives. It seems to me that there could be issues in future with Sata controllers, etc...

Thank you for your input!
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:10 AM
  • MCE,

Yes. I think personally, as this is a version 1.0 product, for utmost reliability, the simpler the set-up the better! a few people have has problems with add-in Sata cards, but in general, if you can run them in legacy/IDE mode while you install WHS, things seem to go OK. You can then update the ACHI drivers after the system is running - just ensure your 2003 drivers are available!

Good luck, we've all - well most of us - on here, gone through it building our own servers.

Colin

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:29 PM