Where to start troubleshooting a problem RRS feed

• Question

• I was having a number of problems with my home mader server. This last weekend I broke down and reinstalled everything, new installation, not a reinstalling. I've got 5 disks, 3 in the pool, and the other two are holding data. I'm using a Gigabyte board and the only external cards I have in the system are a serial and ide card. Everything installed fine, I hand to manually install drivers for network, sb controller, hd audio, and the serial port.

I got the server up and installed WHS and PP1 without issue. I ran memtest for 24 hours and didn't have any issues.  I got the connector installed on all three computers one x64 one without issue and was able to do backups on all three. This morning I noticed the home server icon was showing grey, I tried pinging the server and rdping to it, nothing. So when I got home tonight I restarted the server and everything came back fine. The only add in I have installed is whs toolkit and Microsofts debugging tools.

So where do I start looking for the problem. I've notice some errors in the log files, but not sure what ones are what the errors I'm seeing are

7:15 am 5 times Application Error .NET Runtime .Net runtime version 2.0.50727.1433 - Fatal execution engine error (79ffee24)(80131506)

ARound the same time I got 5 of these

System Warning W3SVC A process serving application pool "RemoteAccessAppPool" terminated unexpectadly. The process id '200' the process exit code was 0x80131506.

Then

System Error W3SVC Application pool 'RemoteAccessAppPool' is being automatically disabled due to a service of failures in the processes serving that application pool.

Then around 10:55 when I rebooted I got a dump and looking at the memory.dmp file, I think I'm reading this correct when I see

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e)
    Typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists (ie: calling
    MmUnlockPages twice with the same list, etc).  If a kernel debugger is
    available get the stack trace.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 00000099, A PTE or PFN is corrupt
    Arg2: 00019cc6, page frame number
    Arg3: 00000004, current page state
    Arg4: 00000000, 0

But honestly, I don't know how to read the debug files and the debugger is saying something about a missing .pdb file.

So where do I go to try and start and see what is causing my problems.

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:28 AM

Answers

• Firstly I would check that you are running all the correct and up to date drivers for your WHS as the last set of errors indicate driver problems.

Andrew

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Further to what Andrew has said, The initial .Net error has a KB article associated with it and the others are probably related to that.

Incidentally, don't forget that all your drivers should be Server 2003 versions.

Colin 

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:53 PM

All replies

• Firstly I would check that you are running all the correct and up to date drivers for your WHS as the last set of errors indicate driver problems.

Andrew

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Further to what Andrew has said, The initial .Net error has a KB article associated with it and the others are probably related to that.

Incidentally, don't forget that all your drivers should be Server 2003 versions.

Colin 

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:53 PM