OCS Edge Servers - Edition Requirement RRS feed

• Question

• We're doing load balancing across the board.  I know that when deploying Front Ends and you want load balancing, you have to deploy OCS Enterprise Edition to connect to a SQL Back End.

I'm assuming that with Edge Servers, I can deploy everything on OCS Standard?

Example:
    2x Access/Web Edge - OCS Standard
    2x A/V Edge - OCS Standard
    2x Front End Enterprise Pool - OCS Enterprise

Would this be correct?
    Friday, July 18, 2008 6:17 PM

All replies

• Yep, you got it.

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

Can you tell us if this information (use of mixed Edition) can be found somewhere on the official MS documentation ? or did you get it unofficially ?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:49 AM
  • I guess I didn't understand your question.  I don't see why you;d use 'mixed' editions in the same deployment.  If you plan to use load-balanced Front-End servers then you'll need to purchase/license Enterprise Edition.  Once you have that then just deploy the other servers (Edge, Directors, Archving, etc) from that binary.  I'm not sure why you want to use the Standard Edition binary to install the Edge server.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:14 PM
  • nkv - take a look at this article to see if it clears things up for you:  http://evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike/archive/2008/05/29/ocs-2007-licensing.aspx

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thank for your answers.

You're right, the question is not from a binaries point of view, or working or not, but from a cost of licences ! As Standard Edition is cheaper than Enterprise Edition, you see where I want to go...

For example when you look at the classic architecture diagram from MS, Director role are written as Standard Edition (so different from what you wrote in article Mike but maybe it has changed since this time) that's what I called mixed Edition in a deployment, and would like to have official statement from MS.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Actually what I said in the article (perhaps in less specific terms) was that Directors need to be licensed as Enterprise servers if they are deployed in a pool configuration but otherwise can be licensed as Standard Edition servers:

"The basic rule of thumb for OCS 2007 server licensing is that you purchase Enterprise Edition for Front End servers (including Directors) that will be using a SQL backend located on another machine (note that Enterprise Edition does not support a local SQL Server installation), will be deployed behind a load balancer, and/or will be deployed in an expanded topology.  All other servers can be licensed as Standard Edition servers."

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Thanks Mike, sometimes I get caught up in the technical how and why and forget that sometimes companies have to actually buy stuff.  So what I stated before was simple regarding how to install the product, not in terms of licensing.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:17 PM