Client PC backup problems with WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Having problems with client PC backup using WHS2011. Backup is working fine with one of my PC but it fails for another PC (HTPC). I have partitioned HTPC hard drive to C: and D: drives. If I choose to backup only C: drive, backup is working fine but if I choose to backup drive D: (or both C: and D:) then backup fails. I have done error checking for the D: drive but that didn't help. I have also reset the WHS2011 backup database. Any suggestions how to fix the problem?

Another problem is with recently purchased Asus laptop. Backup of the laptop don't even start (jut showing 1% and then error "Error prevented backup from running"). The disk partition is GPT. Have I understood correctly that WHS2011 doesn't support GPT partitioned client PC disks? Are there any workarounds to fix this?

Thanks,

Vesa

Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:24 AM

Answers

• ".... and it also means that clients with a  UEFI motherboard will never backup, since they require the boot partition to be GPT."

That's wrong. I back up my UEFI BIOS PC to WHS 2011 without problem - you only need GPT if the boot HDD is greater than 2TB.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:06 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:25 PM
  • True, WHS 2011 does not support backing up clients with GPT disks. 

This basically means that it will not backup disks greater than 2TB (since >2TB requires GPT) and it also means that clients with a  UEFI motherboard will never backup, since they require the boot partition to be GPT.

There isn't much (if any) hope this will ever be fixed since WHS is now discontinued. What's worse is that new PCs that ship with Windows 8 are required to use a UEFI 'BIOS' so they will never back up either. Isn't that wonderful? Microsoft is ensuring that Windows 8 will break Windows Home Server 2011 backup and they have no plans to fix it. 

Straight from Microsoft:

“If a client computer is running Windows Home Server 2011, and it has a hard disk that is configured to use the GUID Partition Table (GPT) format, you cannot use back up or restore data from the operating system, individual files, or folders on that computer. However, you can restore individual files or folders from other computers to a client computer that uses GPT formatting.

In the event that a client computer is configured to use GPT hard disks, you must employ an alternative method to back up or restore that computer”.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:05 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:40 PM

All replies

• True, WHS 2011 does not support backing up clients with GPT disks. 

This basically means that it will not backup disks greater than 2TB (since >2TB requires GPT) and it also means that clients with a  UEFI motherboard will never backup, since they require the boot partition to be GPT.

There isn't much (if any) hope this will ever be fixed since WHS is now discontinued. What's worse is that new PCs that ship with Windows 8 are required to use a UEFI 'BIOS' so they will never back up either. Isn't that wonderful? Microsoft is ensuring that Windows 8 will break Windows Home Server 2011 backup and they have no plans to fix it. 

Straight from Microsoft:

“If a client computer is running Windows Home Server 2011, and it has a hard disk that is configured to use the GUID Partition Table (GPT) format, you cannot use back up or restore data from the operating system, individual files, or folders on that computer. However, you can restore individual files or folders from other computers to a client computer that uses GPT formatting.

In the event that a client computer is configured to use GPT hard disks, you must employ an alternative method to back up or restore that computer”.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:05 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:40 PM
  • ".... and it also means that clients with a  UEFI motherboard will never backup, since they require the boot partition to be GPT."

That's wrong. I back up my UEFI BIOS PC to WHS 2011 without problem - you only need GPT if the boot HDD is greater than 2TB.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:06 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:25 PM
  • True for WHS v1 also.  I have two UEFI BIOS PC's that back up every night.  Neither of them have GPT drives, all are MBR.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

".... and it also means that clients with a  UEFI motherboard will never backup, since they require the boot partition to be GPT."

BullDawg
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:28 PM
  • Thanks for confirmation about WHS support for GPT partition.

Any idea how to fix the other issue (unsuccessfull D: partition backup)? 

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:06 AM
  • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

"Systems that support UEFI require that boot partition must reside on a GPT disk. Other hard disks can be either MBR or GPT."

+

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/release-notes-2.aspx

"If a client computer is running Windows Home Server 2011, and it has a hard disk that is configured to use the GUID Partition Table (GPT) format, you cannot use back up or restore"

=

BROKEN

Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:37 AM