locked
Error in A/V service RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Well can someone help me understanding this error a bit ?

     

    Failed to start service for the following reasons Failed to initialize TCP/TLS listener for SIP

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:27 PM

All replies

  • Can you first run the Validation wizard and post the result where you see errors?

    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:51 PM
  •  Deli Pro-Exchange wrote:

    Can you first run the Validation wizard and post the result where you see errors?

     

    No problem, but the things is that it doesnt give me any decent error..

     

     Error: Service isn't installed, enabled or started. Please check service installation and configuration.

    Thursday, October 2, 2008 5:50 AM
  • What server is this? A consolidated front-end, an Edge server, Enterprise expanded, etc?  Does the Acomponent show as installed in Add/Remove and do you see the A/V service listed in the computers Services applet?

    Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:21 PM
    Moderator
  •  Jeff Schertz wrote:

    What server is this? A consolidated front-end, an Edge server, Enterprise expanded, etc?  Does the Acomponent show as installed in Add/Remove and do you see the A/V service listed in the computers Services applet?

     

    Hi Jeff, this error is shown on the front end server. This is a standard server, in a consolidated environment. Everything else shows OK, external user acces is working but i simply can not start the A/V service Sad

    Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:56 PM
  • Could you run the Validation on your Front-End server?

     

    My output on a standard FE Server is this in the beginning of the logfile, can you verify

     

    Product Version: Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 3.0.6362.0
    Installed components:
    DATAMCUWEB
    ACPMCU
    GROUPEXPANSION
    IMMCU
    DATAMCU
    AUDIOVIDEOMCU
    ARCHIVINGSERVER
    ARCHIVINGAGENT
    SE

    Service Status:

    RTCDATAMCU: Running
    RTCLOG: Running
    RTCSRV: Running
    RTCACPMCU: Running
    RTCIMMCU: Running
    RTCAVMCU: Running

    Backend: (local)\rtc

     

    Note that you don't require the ARCHIVINGSERVER or AGENT

    Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:29 PM
  • What error do you get when attempting to start the service?  Does it fail immediately or does it get stuck on "Starting"?  And which service is failing?

     

    What user account is the service configured to run under?  Is the password on that account set to not expire?

     

    Friday, October 3, 2008 1:12 PM
    Moderator
  •  Jeff Schertz wrote:

    What error do you get when attempting to start the service?  Does it fail immediately or does it get stuck on "Starting"?  And which service is failing?

     

    What user account is the service configured to run under?  Is the password on that account set to not expire?

     

     

    It fails in the end with a "can not start service" error. No other informatie showing and its the A/V service which is failing. Every other service is running great. Running under a admin account, and password is not set to expire Sad

    Friday, October 3, 2008 1:43 PM
  • You should see an error message in the Office Communications Server event log that coincides with the service-start failure.  There should at least be an error code in there you can search with.
    Friday, October 3, 2008 2:02 PM
    Moderator
  •  Jeff Schertz wrote:
    You should see an error message in the Office Communications Server event log that coincides with the service-start failure.  There should at least be an error code in there you can search with.

     

    Service cannot be started. Microsoft.LiveServer.Mcu.AudioVideo.InitializationException: Failed to initialize TCP/TLS listener for SIP ---> Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.ConnectionFailureException: The connection manager was unable to listen using the address and port supplied. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted

    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)

    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)

    at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Sip.TCPListener.Listen(EndPoint endPoint)

    at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Sip.ConnectionControlModule.ListenForIncomingTlsConnections(IPEndPoint endPoint, TlsCredentials certInfo, Boolean isMutualAuthentication)

    at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Sip.SipStack.ListenForIncomingTlsConnections(IPEndPoint endpoint, TlsCredentials certInfo, Boolean isMutualAuthentication)

    at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Sip.SipCoreManager.ListenForIncomingTlsConnections(IPEndPoint endpoi...

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

     

     

    That is the error i am getting now, seems like some services are using the same port, but i can not find which 1

    Monday, October 6, 2008 8:53 AM
  • What other services/products do you have installed on this server?  Do you have any additional IP addresses?  Also have you possible re-installed any OCS roles or components on this server or is this a maiden installation?

    Monday, October 6, 2008 12:21 PM
    Moderator
  •  Jeff Schertz wrote:

    What other services/products do you have installed on this server?  Do you have any additional IP addresses?  Also have you possible re-installed any OCS roles or components on this server or is this a maiden installation?

     

    This error is on the standard edition server, nothing else installed onto it.

    IP address is 10.10.80.22, so no other IP addresses on the machine.

     

    And this is a completely new installation

     

    Normally troubleshooting is a nice challenge, but im totally stuck in this one...

    Monday, October 6, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Make sure all OCS services on that box are stopped and try to telnet to the IP and port that you have the failing service configured for on that server, both locally and remotely.  See if by chance there is another process listening on that IP/port.

     

    example:

     

    telnet myocsserver.contoso.com 5061

     

    If a blank window immediately appear then a service is listening; if no connection is established then something else wacky may be going on with that box.

     

    Is IIS installed on the server? If so what IP/ports is it on?

     

    Another idea is to add a secondary IP address to that server and reconfigure OCS to us that one.  Try the same tests to verify.  You can't really use this as a deployment strategy as you'll need another DNS A record but using the same name as the server/certificate which isn't supported, but at least you can test it out.  Unless whatever is 'stealing that port' is configured to use all local IP addresses instead of just the primary IP (like IIS can be) then this won't tell you much.  But it's worth a try.

     

    Otherwise a complete remove/wipe/reinstall might be in order:

    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=31

    Monday, October 6, 2008 1:01 PM
    Moderator
  •  Jeff Schertz wrote:

    Make sure all OCS services on that box are stopped and try to telnet to the IP and port that you have the failing service configured for on that server, both locally and remotely.  See if by chance there is another process listening on that IP/port.

     

    example:

     

    telnet myocsserver.contoso.com 5061

     

    If a blank window immediately appear then a service is listening; if no connection is established then something else wacky may be going on with that box.

     

    Is IIS installed on the server? If so what IP/ports is it on?

     

    Another idea is to add a secondary IP address to that server and reconfigure OCS to us that one.  Try the same tests to verify.  You can't really use this as a deployment strategy as you'll need another DNS A record but using the same name as the server/certificate which isn't supported, but at least you can test it out.  Unless whatever is 'stealing that port' is configured to use all local IP addresses instead of just the primary IP (like IIS can be) then this won't tell you much.  But it's worth a try.

     

    Otherwise a complete remove/wipe/reinstall might be in order:

    http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=31

     

    That was the trick i guess, i have changed the IM conference to port number 5066 and now the service started.

    Still get a immediate call has been disconnected but at least im moving on Smile

    Monday, October 6, 2008 1:44 PM
  • OK, so something is listening on that port.  I would double-check all of your OCS service to make sure that none of them are accidentally configured on the same port.

     

    Monday, October 6, 2008 2:59 PM
    Moderator
  •  Jeff Schertz wrote:
    OK, so something is listening on that port.  I would double-check all of your OCS service to make sure that none of them are accidentally configured on the same port.

     

     

    just did that. It seems to be ok now.

     

    In the EDGE deployment guide, they specify the STUN port as 3478. I have no service listening on that port. Any idea where i can check this ?

     

    EDIT

     

    So this is going to be a long day...

     

    What we did, changed all ports to be unique, and every service starts fine now.

    IM between external user and internal user works. Wireshark trace shows our external IP addresses talking to each other. As soon as we start video, the internal address reports back as a internal address!! No wonder the connection get lost. Im lost as well...

    Monday, October 6, 2008 3:28 PM