I bought Win 7 pro. only to find I can only put this on one computer RRS feed

• Question

• I had a desktop built for my daughter and installed Windows 7 Pro. It works well and we enjoy the OS. But when I put it on my laptop to replace my, hated, Vista OS I was given a not valid message after 30 days. I called support and was told that I had only paid for 1 licensing agreement and that I needed to go and purchase windows home edition to be able to license 3 computers. I know that I should have taken my magnifying glass and read the licensing agreement on the back of the package during the Christmas rush but I figured that buy buying the 'Pro' version of the OS I would automatically receive this small bonus. I talked with a lady by the name of Rosy at the 'Help' desk (I use that term loosely) the call # is 101014009272005. I was also told that they do this so customers don't share there copies with others. I understand this but all I want to do is have the same operating system on the 3 sometimes 4 computers in my house but your customer service rep seems to think I have an ulterior motive.

I'm rather upset at this point at the amount of time and money I put out yearly to microsoft. being a long time customer I feel forgotten and fleeced.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:37 PM

Answers

• It has always been one retail licence for one computer with the Windows OS. Even the Windows 7 Home Edition is only licensed for one computer unless you bought the Family Pack for Home Premium when it was available for a limited time (with a 3-computer licence).

I believe that to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of Windows 7 on October 22nd(?) Microsoft are bringing back the Windows 7 Premium Family Pack for a limited time in the US, (maybe already available in the MS store?).

Also I think it is going to be available in the UK (some other  European countries) and Australia later in the month, in stores??

Like last time it is to be a time-limited offer so if you are interested get in early. Also it will only be available as an upgrade?

• Edited by flakie99 Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:11 PM spelling
    • Proposed as answer by David. FModerator Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:31 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Hello Mike_17,

Flakie99 is correct, Windows licensing for as long as I can remember has always been one OEM or one retail license is good for one computer, period.

"Professional" and "Business" editions of Windows have never conferred the right to install the license (OEM and retail) on more than one computer at a time.  These editions are intended for use in settings where the computer is to participate in a business client/server network, so the extra cost is meant to cover the features added to operate within that framework.

I too have seen the W7HP Upgrade family pack in the stores recently.  But as flakie99 said, it's an Upgrade.  But since your computer came with Vista, it should qualify for the upgrade.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:43 PM

All replies

• It has always been one retail licence for one computer with the Windows OS. Even the Windows 7 Home Edition is only licensed for one computer unless you bought the Family Pack for Home Premium when it was available for a limited time (with a 3-computer licence).

I believe that to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of Windows 7 on October 22nd(?) Microsoft are bringing back the Windows 7 Premium Family Pack for a limited time in the US, (maybe already available in the MS store?).

Also I think it is going to be available in the UK (some other  European countries) and Australia later in the month, in stores??

Like last time it is to be a time-limited offer so if you are interested get in early. Also it will only be available as an upgrade?

• Edited by flakie99 Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:11 PM spelling
    • Proposed as answer by David. FModerator Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:31 PM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Hello Mike_17,

Flakie99 is correct, Windows licensing for as long as I can remember has always been one OEM or one retail license is good for one computer, period.

"Professional" and "Business" editions of Windows have never conferred the right to install the license (OEM and retail) on more than one computer at a time.  These editions are intended for use in settings where the computer is to participate in a business client/server network, so the extra cost is meant to cover the features added to operate within that framework.

I too have seen the W7HP Upgrade family pack in the stores recently.  But as flakie99 said, it's an Upgrade.  But since your computer came with Vista, it should qualify for the upgrade.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm sorry it's taken a while to I had a family emergency to take care of...

Will I have to re-install Vista on my laptop to then use the family upgrade? Do you know if the upgrade will be available in Canada as well and if so when?                           Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Mike_17

Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm sorry it's taken a while to I had a family emergency to take care of...

Will I have to re-install Vista on my laptop to then use the family upgrade? Do you know if the upgrade will be available in Canada as well and if so when?                           Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Mike_17

This is all the information I know of, check this link, as for wether it is available in Canada, I do not know.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/52240d33-fa61-4d87-ab4e-19bed6e823f4

As for reinstalling Vista, probably because you can't perform a downgrade without doing a clean install.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:15 PM