Shared Folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently purchased a WHS which seems to be working fine.

I am having a problem with the Shared Folders on the server in that they are all empty and I wondered if I had missed an extra step in the set-up.

My main music, pictures & video data is stored on a d: drive on my main PC so not sure if this is the problem.

Can anyone help?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:29 AM

Answers

•  Shortlegs wrote:
    Hi,

I am having a problem with the Shared Folders on the server in that they are all empty and I wondered if I had missed an extra step in the set-up.

My main music, pictures & video data is stored on a d: drive on my main PC so not sure if this is the problem.

Can anyone help?

As David said, you have to add files to the network shares in order for data to be there.  If you are thinking the data from the client PC backups show up in those shares, that's not how WHS works.  That data is stored in a different location on the server and is not visible from the outside.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:53 PM

All replies

• im not sure that i fully understand the problem but from what i grasp is...
    when u set up WHS they are supposed to start empty till you actually upload music and all your other junk to it
    so what you do is install the pc connector software on ur main computer that has the music and stuff on it then you will be able to login and access the network shares from there drag and drop them into the folders accordingly then theyll b there for everyone to access unless u restrict access to only certain ppl to that area
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:39 AM
  •  Shortlegs wrote:
    Hi,

Can anyone help?

As David said, you have to add files to the network shares in order for data to be there.  If you are thinking the data from the client PC backups show up in those shares, that's not how WHS works.  That data is stored in a different location on the server and is not visible from the outside.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:53 PM