Windows Server Solution Computer Restore Driver RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS 2011 recently, and setup backups for my Win7 Home Premium computers. The first time I tried to restore a file on one of my computers, I was able to choose a backup and choose a volume. But when the Opening the volume dialog gets to 4%, I see the following error message:

The restore process did not succeed

I tried the directions outlined on http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver2011/computer-backup-error-solution-2. This did not work. Windows says I have the latest driver. I tried disabling it and re-enabling it. My Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver still says "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)".

I've also tried uninstalling the WHS Connector software.

I am able to restore properly from other computers on my network.

Bucky
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• Bucky,

First post for me, but others may have more info.  I had this happen to me, this morning.

It is likely that you have a CLASH of the WHS restore driver's minifilter altitude ID (This is just some gobbledegook, but its a unique number to tell windows the position of the driver filter in the stack and unfortunately, I think you have two programs with the same filter number that's causing a clash) which appears as a exclamation mark in Device Manager under system, Windows server solutions.

Often the 'other' program causing the clash is likely to be an anti-virus program, or more commonly: TRUSTEER'S RAPPORT (that software you use when you are doing your online banking).

To find out what programs' filters are clashing with WHS restore drivers....

START -> ACCESSORIES > Right Click on COMMAND PROMPT and 'Run as Administrator' , then type in the Shell window: 'fltmc'. This will list the filters and you can see what other program is using '370030' (which is the filterID allocated to WHS restore driver)

So, rather than removing the 'other' offending program, you just need to change the WHS restore filter ID to something else unique:

START ->  type REGEDIT into the  'search programs and files'  field at the bottom of the start pop-up.  Then when REGEDIT opens find...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/BackupReaderInstances/BackupReaderInstance

Name       Type                Data
    Default     RG_SZ             (value not set)
    Altitude    RG_SZ              370030
    Flags        REG-DWORD    0x00000000 (0)

You can change the altitude number (right click on 'altitude' - MODIFY) from 370030 to another unique number, say, 370032 so that it won't clash with the other program.

Reboot and check it worked by going to...

START -> CONTROL PANEL -> HARWARE AND SOUND -> DEVICE MANAGER  ... then from the list ->  SYSTEM DEVICES/ Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver.

A blue screen ICON should be next to it WITHOUT any yellow exclamation marks  (which is probably what you had)

Obviously, when you 'RESTORE' your Client PC image, you are also restoring the problem - so you'll have to change it again, after restore, before the next client backup  ;-)

John.

• Edited by jb7334 Friday, September 2, 2011 4:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by buckyschwartz Friday, September 2, 2011 6:00 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:10 PM

All replies

• Bucky,

First post for me, but others may have more info.  I had this happen to me, this morning.

It is likely that you have a CLASH of the WHS restore driver's minifilter altitude ID (This is just some gobbledegook, but its a unique number to tell windows the position of the driver filter in the stack and unfortunately, I think you have two programs with the same filter number that's causing a clash) which appears as a exclamation mark in Device Manager under system, Windows server solutions.

Often the 'other' program causing the clash is likely to be an anti-virus program, or more commonly: TRUSTEER'S RAPPORT (that software you use when you are doing your online banking).

To find out what programs' filters are clashing with WHS restore drivers....

START -> ACCESSORIES > Right Click on COMMAND PROMPT and 'Run as Administrator' , then type in the Shell window: 'fltmc'. This will list the filters and you can see what other program is using '370030' (which is the filterID allocated to WHS restore driver)

So, rather than removing the 'other' offending program, you just need to change the WHS restore filter ID to something else unique:

START ->  type REGEDIT into the  'search programs and files'  field at the bottom of the start pop-up.  Then when REGEDIT opens find...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/BackupReaderInstances/BackupReaderInstance

Name       Type                Data
    Default     RG_SZ             (value not set)
    Altitude    RG_SZ              370030
    Flags        REG-DWORD    0x00000000 (0)

You can change the altitude number (right click on 'altitude' - MODIFY) from 370030 to another unique number, say, 370032 so that it won't clash with the other program.

Reboot and check it worked by going to...

START -> CONTROL PANEL -> HARWARE AND SOUND -> DEVICE MANAGER  ... then from the list ->  SYSTEM DEVICES/ Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver.

A blue screen ICON should be next to it WITHOUT any yellow exclamation marks  (which is probably what you had)

Obviously, when you 'RESTORE' your Client PC image, you are also restoring the problem - so you'll have to change it again, after restore, before the next client backup  ;-)

John.

• Edited by jb7334 Friday, September 2, 2011 4:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by buckyschwartz Friday, September 2, 2011 6:00 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Problem solved. Thanks very much for your help. It's much appreciated.

Ian

Bucky
    Friday, September 2, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Some may have further problems. I reset my Altitude as described above but that did not work.  It was late so I went tto sleep on it. This morning I  found the Altitude problem in 2 more places, CurrentControlSet0001 and CurrentControlSet0002.  Set 0002 had not been changed, changed that and all worked fine.

Roland.

Roland
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hit the same problem, and it was indeed Rapport.  Thanks for posting this fix, I'm amazed you were able to identify the cause of the problem so quickly - and very grateful.

Tom

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Update Rollup 2 for Windows Home Server 2011 is available:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2630434

Issue 7 fixes this

(for historical purposes)

Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:12 AM