CRM in Outlook keeps crashing RRS feed

• Question

• One user is having this issue that when He's in Outlook it keeps crashing. It's on a Terminal server and no other users on the server are having this ussue.

The error is listed below. Any help would be appreciated. \

Outlook 2010 and CRM 2011 Rollup 5 on Server 2008R2

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        CRMUnmanaged

Problem Signature 01:                       5.0.9688.1533

Problem Signature 02:                       OUTLOOK.EXE

Problem Signature 03:                       927

Problem Signature 04:                       c:\bt\28382\src\application\outlook\addin\outlooksyncmanager.cpp

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7

Locale ID:                                             1033

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

in which circumstances does OL crash? Just after opening and connecting to CRM? If OL loads without problem and you see that the add-in is loaded too, I suggest you to verify if it happens during the use of a particular feature, such as personal view.

If these are not the case, and the crash happens randomly, try to enable the trace log to obtain more details.

Best regards

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:43 PM
  • It seems to happen randomly. How do I enable trace logs?

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Ok, so OL opens and after a bit of time it hangs. Have you got other plug-ins running?

You can enable tracing simply opening diagnostic tool on the client from the start menu, switching to the advanced troubleshooting and activating the first parameter. You should also try to clean temporary files clicking the proper button in the same window.

Best regards

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:53 PM
  • I would check what views the user has open in the Outlook client. We had users that had created views that returned 5000+ records and had pinned the table down. That blew up the cache and caused Outlook to crawl for certain users. Hope that helps.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Ok, I enabled tracing and it crahed, where are the trace logs? I didn't see an option on where they are saved.

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:50 PM
  •  hi dccrm,

Try to reproduce the error and check the trace logs located @

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM

OR if outlook client

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\

This should be of some help to track the error.

crmdev2011
    • Edited by crmdev2011 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hello dccrm,

I also suggest that you update CRM to the latest version available (rollup 6). I noticed that you haven't installed the latest rollup from the version number you reported in your first post, it should be 5.0.9690.1992. This update fixes various problems with the Outlook client.

I hope it helps,

Best regards

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:52 AM
  • I know RU 6 is available, I was waiting to see if there were any issues with it before implementing (since we can't roll back).

Also, I turned on tracing and there is no C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM directory..........

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Are you using roaming profiles?

Try with C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM\Traces

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Ok, found it, I was having a brain freeze.

The log is a huge mess of info, to be honest I don't know what to look at in it....

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Start with searching for Error or Exception.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:18 PM
  • I suggest "Level: Error"

Best regards

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:28 PM