Server Backup External Drive Now Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have just been through the process of installing 'beta 2'. I had a 160GB Seagate USB drive configured as the server backup in 'beta 1' and it was (apparently) working fine. I powered the drive down before installing 'beta 2' and now upon powerup I can't detect this USB drive at all. It’s not seen in my computer when I plug the USB cable into an XP machine. It’s also not seen in the drive listing in Vail server manager or detected when I try to setup the server backup using the dashboard. I can however see a 'generic volume' icon in Vail under devices and printers. The vail machine detects other USB drives ok (thumb drives etc)

I realize that this may be unrelated to Vail, but would appreciate if someone can point me in the correct direction so I can recover the USB drive and use it again as my Vail server external backup.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:28 AM

Answers

It’s not seen in my computer when I plug the USB cable into an XP machine.
    Dead cable, dead drive, or (most likely) dead bridge electronics in the enclosure. To test the first, try a new cable. To test the other two, remove the bare drive from the enclosure (note that if it's an OEM unit from a storage manufacturer you might have to destroy the enclosure to do this, at which point RMA is going to be impossible) and attach it to another computer using a USB-to-<interface> bridge device.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:27 PM

All replies

• I have just been through the process of installing 'beta 2'. I had a 160GB Seagate USB drive configured as the server backup in 'beta 1' and it was (apparently) working fine. I powered the drive down before installing 'beta 2' and now upon powerup I can't detect this USB drive at all. It’s not seen in my computer when I plug the USB cable into an XP machine. It’s also not seen in the drive listing in Vail server manager or detected when I try to setup the server backup using the dashboard. I can however see a 'generic volume' icon in Vail under devices and printers. The vail machine detects other USB drives ok (thumb drives etc)

I realize that this may be unrelated to Vail, but would appreciate if someone can point me in the correct direction so I can recover the USB drive and use it again as my Vail server external backup.

First thing I would suggest is to try a different USB cable (one that is known to work).  If that doesn't solve the problem, then the drive must be bad (I can't think of any other reason why multiple computers won't see it).  I don't think there is much to do except throw it out and buy a new one (or send it back to the manufacturer if it's still under warranty).
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:47 PM
    It’s not seen in my computer when I plug the USB cable into an XP machine.
    Dead cable, dead drive, or (most likely) dead bridge electronics in the enclosure. To test the first, try a new cable. To test the other two, remove the bare drive from the enclosure (note that if it's an OEM unit from a storage manufacturer you might have to destroy the enclosure to do this, at which point RMA is going to be impossible) and attach it to another computer using a USB-to-<interface> bridge device.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:27 PM