Thinking about dumping WHS v1 software RRS feed

• Question

• I'm contemplating killing off the WHS software on my 47x media smart server and converting it to a Win 7 media server.  I know I'd lose things like client backup but don't really use that anyway.  I'm more interested in having a media server than use the WHS bridged by yet another device to stream audio and video.

Aside of losing backups, is there anything else that I should be aware of before proceeding? (besides not getting to ask questions here anymore) :-(

With the information I've read about Vail and the proprietary file system plus not including media center functionality it seems like this is going down a road that's not helpful for my silly needs.

Thanks as always.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:35 PM

All replies

• For me, having the backups is the #1 reason to keep WHS. The file sharing capabilities is #2. And the overall peace of mind is probably #3. My WHS has given me few problems, almost, but not quite a forgotten piece of hardware/software. It's always worked when needed.

I will probably not try Vail as #1, I don't have any 64bit hardware not in use and #2, the file system scares me off, and #3, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Cruise

Monday, May 3, 2010 10:33 PM
  • I'm contemplating killing off the WHS software on my 47x media smart server and converting it to a Win 7 media server.  I know I'd lose things like client backup but don't really use that anyway.  I'm more interested in having a media server than use the WHS bridged by yet another device to stream audio and video.

Aside of losing backups, is there anything else that I should be aware of before proceeding? (besides not getting to ask questions here anymore) :-(

With the information I've read about Vail and the proprietary file system plus not including media center functionality it seems like this is going down a road that's not helpful for my silly needs.

Thanks as always.

You would also lose Remote Access.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:42 AM