OGA 114 Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have several Office installs around the office that share the same VLK.

Recently, I have gotten an error on "1" of those machines..

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2

OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

I didn't report this key as stolen, lost, etc..  and the warning doesn't come up on every machine..  is it possible that the machine has a virus or something is wrong with OGA?    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the version from our original media.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Brian_Cooper,

The mgadiag status above indicates that the installation of Office on the computer is a Volume Licensing installation of Office Professional Edition 2003, and that the installation was done with a widely pirated and now blocked Volume Licensing product key that Microsoft once issued to itself for installing Office on its own fleet of computers.  If you run a keyfinder utility you'll see the last group of characters as 3HFDY.

So the key used to install this installation is not your organization's key.  No virus and no OGA problem.

In a situation like this, I normally give this advice:

1.  First, contact whomever it is in your organization who would have the documentation of the organization's Office software Volume Licensing Agreement (VLA) with Microsoft (often obtained thru a third party Value Added Reseller [VAR]).  The paperwork that comes with the VLA will have the product key associated with your VLA printed on it, and of course that's the one that should be installed on all of your computers that are using volume licensinn installations of Office.  If there is no VLA, then any use of any installaton of Volume Licensing editions of Office would be a nongenuine use.

2.  Now that you know the key that's supposed to be used, inventory your fleet to see what key(s) is/are really being used.  Use a keyfinder on each computer running Office to gather that info.  Hopefully the number is manageable!  You can also Validate online at www.microsoft.com/genuine, but this has its limitations because it does not reveal actual installed product keys, only if the key is a valid key, but not if the key is your specific key.

3.  Now compare.  In most smaller offices and in mid-sized organizations where there has been a turnover of IT staff, the reality is that a few computers are going to turn up with nongenuine keys, if only because over-enthusiastic workers with admin privileges are going to try to fix things on their own.  But these few exceptions can be corrected by you by following the steps in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895456/en-us

4.  If you uncover a massive use of nongenuine product keys and/or no VLA to cover their use, it's time to have a talk with your supervisor.  Uh-oh!

Let us know how it all shakes out :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:02 PM