Hide the Customization Window RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way to hide the Customize Entity page from users? We have set it so that users cannot modify or customize any entities. However they still can go to the page and view the list of all the forms and attributes for all Entities. Not to mention, they are also able to export customization...

Is there a way to hide this Customiza Entity page?

Thanks in advanced for your help,

-Elizabeth K.

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Nice article here:

http://www.mohamedibrahim.net/blog/2009/07/31/hiding-left-navigation-menu-items-in-an-entity-form-using-javascript-in-microsoft-crm-4/

We've used something similar.

Rob

www.crmconsult.info www.chorusit.com Twitter:robertpeledie
    Monday, May 3, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hi Elizabeth,

In the Security Role(s) of those users, ensure that the following is NOT checked in the "Customization" tab:

• Export Customizations
    • Import Customizations
    • Publish Customizations
    • All permissions to "Entity
    • All permissions to "Attribute"
    • All permissions to "Relationship"
    • Write permission to "Form"
    • Create/Write/Delete permission to "View"
    Once these options are cleared, the users with this security role should NOT be able to get to the list of entities as well as export the customisations.

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:19 AM
  • Hi Elizabeth,

you just need to update security role for specific users as mentioned below

1. go to relevant security role (settings -> administration -> security roles)

2. Now go to Customization tab and blank out all permission on Entity record (first one in this list)..

3. also blank out attribute and relationship record..

4. save and close and now user will not able to customize the system now..

Hope this helps..

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:11 AM
    Answerer
  • MayankP is right, just one thing to notice, if you have any specific code run by users and that use the MetadataService web service, you could need to let the read privilege on entities and attributes...

My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 10, 2010 2:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Everyone, thank you all for your reply.

Tanguy you are correct, we actually have a 3rd party application that needs the read privilege on entities and attributes. If we turn it off, then users will get error message when trying to use the application.

I was thinking about 'hiding' the customization tab on the left... but then in the future what happens if I, as a System Admin, am trying to edit the entity customizations or add attributes...

Can anyone help me on this? Thanks very much for all your help, appreciate it.

-Elizabeth K.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:14 PM