Reinstalling One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a retail version of One Care and used it for several months.  After Windows could not read a file and crashed I reinitialized my ACER 3620 laptop and tried to reinstall one care using the procedure described for adding a computer.  I jumped through the hoops requested and MS says I need a subscription.  I cannot get past that to activate One care.  I have spent hours searching through reams of info and cannot find any other way to contact MS other than this.  HELP!!!!!

Monday, May 5, 2008 1:32 PM

Answers

•  proav8r wrote:

I purchased a retail version of One Care and used it for several months.  After Windows could not read a file and crashed I reinitialized my ACER 3620 laptop and tried to reinstall one care using the procedure described for adding a computer.  I jumped through the hoops requested and MS says I need a subscription.  I cannot get past that to activate One care.  I have spent hours searching through reams of info and cannot find any other way to contact MS other than this.  HELP!!!!!

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:45 PM

All replies

•  

I, too, am having the same problem.  What's up!  Cannot get the support I need.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 2:07 PM
  •  proav8r wrote:

I purchased a retail version of One Care and used it for several months.  After Windows could not read a file and crashed I reinitialized my ACER 3620 laptop and tried to reinstall one care using the procedure described for adding a computer.  I jumped through the hoops requested and MS says I need a subscription.  I cannot get past that to activate One care.  I have spent hours searching through reams of info and cannot find any other way to contact MS other than this.  HELP!!!!!

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

If you don't recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:45 PM
  •  VickieNC wrote:

I, too, am having the same problem.  What's up!  Cannot get the support I need.

VickieNC, if your problem s exactly the same, that is you are being asked to purchase a subscription when activating a reinstall or second/third PC, then the previous answer would also apply to you. I'll add that if it is an install to a 2nd or 3rd PC, open OneCare on the 1st, activated PC, and click Help/About to see the Subscription ID. That is the LiveID for activation.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:48 PM
  • when I sign in at the billing address above it shows that one care does not have a relationship with that ID.  I have had to change the password to get into the system so it may not work...does it keep track of changes or require the initial login and password?  I don't think I can solve this through any automated system...it will not allow me access.  I understand the need for security but I think MS is going overboard with this system.  It is most frustrating and difficult to work with.  One has only to read the numerous posts to see that others are having problems as well.

Monday, May 5, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Dennis, if signing it at the Billing site indicates no Billing account, you are not signing in with the correct LiveID for your subscription.

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste a link to the post to which you are replying. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:46 AM
  • I have the same problem with my NEC LaVie Laptop Computer...Pls Help me 

Thank You !
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 1:29 PM
  •  mathusha wrote:
    I have the same problem with my NEC LaVie Laptop Computer...Pls Help me 

Thank You !

Have you read the other posts in this thread?

-steve

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:38 PM
  • I am having trouble seeing the value here with One Care...I paid $49 for the product and have spent far more time hassling with this issue than it is worth.  When one pays good money for a product and ends up spending excessive time troubleshooting and researching the problem it becomes an issue of value.  I am a small business owner and depend upon my computer for business communication, financial and organizational managment  It is critical that I devote time to those issues rather than fighting MS about a product that seems to be relatively good but difficulties force one to spend an inordinate amount of time in resolution.  Had I made an effective management decision I should have simply cut my losses and run to the nearest competitor who offers less restrictive access to support and to the product.  Perhaps MS has such a vast market share that they can afford to lose market share by tightening up their authorized user base squeezing out those who don't have the time to wade through hours and reams of information and FAQ's.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Thanks for sticking with it, Dennis. I understand your frustration. You've highlighted two problems that are pretty significant, in my opinion.

1. Activation of a subscription and reliance on the LiveID as the identifier for that subscription for all future transactions is difficult to manage, since the LiveID is a pretty abstract concept to some. The process requires you to create and remember that ID and password or to use an existing email address as a LiveID, and still remember the password for that ID. There needs to be another way to access your account information - or multiple ways - so that you can easily manage your account, reinstall, install to another PC, etc, with the original product key or credit card or other unique identifier.

2. Support is painful to reach. I won't repeat what I wrote in the FAQ, but I agree it is much to difficult to get support.

-steve

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:33 PM