D Drive Full? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a WHS that is running with PP3.  When I have no drives added to the storage pool the System Drive shows in the WHS using the Disk Management Add-in as having ~160GB in use.  When I connect to the server with Remote Desktop and view the properties of the C Drive it shows about 14GB in use and the D Drive shows 168MB in use.  When I add a drive to the pool the console stays the same, but via Remote Desktop it shows a series of random characters (not numbers) for the space used.  Is there any way to rebuild the D Drive without having to reinstall the server?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:27 AM

Answers

• OK. I've never used imageshack before, but hopefully this works.  Here's the link:  http://img714.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=serverstorage.jpg

By the way thanks for the tip about not worrying what it looks like through Remote Desktop.
    First, you haven't added those top 6 drives to the storage pool yet.  So far you've just connected them to the motherboard.  Second, the SYSTEM portion of the pie chart is normally 20 GB, but any files you have stored outside of the server shares get counted as SYSTEM as well (since WHS doesn't really know what the files are).  Have you copied data somewhere other than to the shares?  Or perhaps you added the data by copying to D:\shares (which is unsupported) instead of using the UNC path (\\server\[sharename])?

As for the symbols on the D drive when logging into the server desktop, that's normal due to how WHS combines all of the drives into "one big drive", so don't worry about it.
    • Marked as answer by toricred Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:01 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:46 AM

All replies

• Since Remote Desktop isn't a supported way to access your server, you should ignore what you see there unless your server isn't behaving properly using the console. In that case, Remote Desktop (supported or not) is usually the best way to determine what the issue is.

That said, it's not clear to me exactly what you're seeing where, so it's possible there is some issue. Could you post a couple of images to e.g. imageshack and link them here? I'd like to see the console's Server Storage tab, and the Shared Folders tab.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:12 AM
  • OK. I've never used imageshack before, but hopefully this works.  Here's the link:  http://img714.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=serverstorage.jpg

By the way thanks for the tip about not worrying what it looks like through Remote Desktop.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:26 AM

First, you haven't added those top 6 drives to the storage pool yet.  So far you've just connected them to the motherboard.  Second, the SYSTEM portion of the pie chart is normally 20 GB, but any files you have stored outside of the server shares get counted as SYSTEM as well (since WHS doesn't really know what the files are).  Have you copied data somewhere other than to the shares?  Or perhaps you added the data by copying to D:\shares (which is unsupported) instead of using the UNC path (\\server\[sharename])?

As for the symbols on the D drive when logging into the server desktop, that's normal due to how WHS combines all of the drives into "one big drive", so don't worry about it.
    • Marked as answer by toricred Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:01 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:46 AM
  • I had the all the drives added previously, but took them off until I figure this out.  I have not copied anything to D:\ directly, only through the \\server\Recorded TV share.  I'm just not certain where the other 140GB have gone to.  

Edit:  Never mind.  Based on your information I figured it out.  It is working exactly as designed.  I didn't realize that the entire size of the C: drive is included in the pie chart even if it isn't used.  I had enlarged the size of the C: drive (I know it is unsupported) and that was the cause.  When I saw the weird symbols it led me further astray.  Now I know that's normal.  I would never have noticed either of these things if I hadn't tried to run Drive Balancer and gotten an error.  Now I just need to hear back from the author of Drive Balancer to work out the error.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:10 PM