Use Songsmith SampleWAV Files in FL Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have already imported the midi file from Songsmith to FL Studio. Now, I am trying to use the SamplesWAV files of Songsmith in FL Studio by copying them from Songsmith and then pasting them in the "Packs" folder of FL Studio. I usually buy soundfonts from the internet and use them in FL Studio (FL Studio can open a piano roll of the soundfonts), but the SamplesWAV files in Songsmith don't seem to be soundfonts. For example, if I drag the 024 (017) Drawbar Organ_005 wav file into an FL Studio channel, FL Studio makes a piano roll out of the 024 (017) Drawbar Organ_005 file. If I drag 030 (017) Drawbar Organ_007 into a an FL Studio channel, FL Studio makes a different piano roll out of 030 (017) Drawbar Organ_007. In short, how can I use Songsmith's wav files in FL Studio? For example, how can I make a piano roll of just Drawbar Organ? The whole purpose of my effort is to be able to edit the midi files of Songsmith in FL Studio's piano roll with the original sounds of Songsmith as the Garritan sounds are much better than the instrumental sounds that come with FL Studio. For example, I would like to import the midi guitar notes of Songmith into FL Studio with the original sound of the Songsmith guitar and then edit the guitar notes with FL Studio piano roll (move the individual notes up and down the piano roll (for example, move the note from C# to D)) to get a different guitar riff. Sorry for writing long but I wanted to be understood well. Thanks. 

Ermias

Saturday, September 6, 2014 9:45 AM

Answers

• Sorry, the sounds distributed with Songsmith are not not packaged in a way that lets you use them as a general MIDI instrument in other applications.

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Monday, September 8, 2014 8:21 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Sorry, the sounds distributed with Songsmith are not not packaged in a way that lets you use them as a general MIDI instrument in other applications.

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Monday, September 8, 2014 8:21 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Dan. One last question though: Why are wave files for some notes not present? For example, for the Stein piano, for every octave, the wave files for notes A, C, D#, and F# are present but not for the rest of the 12 notes. I guess the program synthesizes the rest of the sounds from these given notes to probably save disc space by not having additional wave files for the remaining 8 notes. But at the cost of disc space, the sound coming from having complete 12 original notes would have been much better. Why was this decision made and what is your take on it? Thanks again. 

Ermias

Ermias

Monday, September 8, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Correct, notes are pitch-shifted (by the ARIA sampling engine) to fill in the gaps.  Until relatively recently, when sound libraries started exceeding hundreds of gigabytes and being very specialized for single instruments, many synthesizers - software and keyboard-based - used this approach, interpolating samples for both pitch and velocity.  And especially with Songsmith being a consumer-oriented program, we felt we really needed to keep the download time, performance (which is affected by how many samples need to be loaded into memory), and disk space requirements manageable.  We're very pleased with what Garritan provided in well under 1GB.

Hopefully we inspire some folks to get into serious music creation and fill up their hard drives with newer, better, giant sample libraries. :)

-Dan from the Songsmith library

Monday, September 8, 2014 8:51 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Dan for the help and for Songsmith. 

Ermias

Ermias

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 12:06 AM