Invalid XP Pro-Downgrade to XP Home? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Dell computer with non genuine XP Pro (vlk) which has a key for XP home on the side. I would like to revert back to XP Home since I know the key is legitamite but there is software installed on the computer which I don't wish to lose. Trying to determine the best way to proceed, which option should I choose:

1. Is there a way to downgrade to XP Home but keep my software?

2. XP Pro prices have dropped since Vista came out. Can I purchase XP Pro from a retailer (at less than the $149 that the Genuine advantage kit suggests) and use this to change my key? Any good sites that i can get genuine XP software from?

3. Purchase the genuine advantage kit?

Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:56 PM

Answers

• Blinton25,

1.  The only way to go from Pro to Home is to do a clean installation--no such thing as a downgrade installation.

2.  You need a full retail license for XP Pro if you want to install XP Pro and keep your installed programs.  The WGA Kit is a full retail license for XP Pro.  The $149 price is half of the normal selling price for XP Pro retail.  XP Pro OEM license usually sells for about $135-149.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:21 AM
  • S32Herk,

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  Next locate the "Validate Windows" button located in the upper right hand corner and double click the button. Here you will receive messaging that windows is non-genuine (if it is) and you will be provided with options to purchase a Genuine Advantage Kit. Follow the instructions and you may purchase Windows this way.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:34 PM

All replies

• Blinton25,

1.  The only way to go from Pro to Home is to do a clean installation--no such thing as a downgrade installation.

2.  You need a full retail license for XP Pro if you want to install XP Pro and keep your installed programs.  The WGA Kit is a full retail license for XP Pro.  The $149 price is half of the normal selling price for XP Pro retail.  XP Pro OEM license usually sells for about $135-149.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:21 AM
  • I have the same problem.  Can I upgrade to Vista Basic over an invalid XP Pro via Windows Marketplace, or do I have to get the WGA kit first?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:07 AM
  • No.  You would need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows Vista and perform a "clean install".

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:34 AM
  • Hello,

What I did was to create a clean install of XP Home (for which I had a valid license). If you take this route then it should be more cost effective to upgrade from this clean version to Vista, rather than buying a full license.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:59 AM
  • I am happy with XP pro and don't have a need to upgrade to Vista at this time.  Can I purchase a full version of XP pro and install it over my current invalid XP pro?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:07 PM
  • S32Herk,

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  Next locate the "Validate Windows" button located in the upper right hand corner and double click the button. Here you will receive messaging that windows is non-genuine (if it is) and you will be provided with options to purchase a Genuine Advantage Kit. Follow the instructions and you may purchase Windows this way.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Steve,

Can I purchase a full version of XP pro and install it over my current invalid XP pro instead of purchasing a Genuine Advantage Kit?  XP pro full version can be purchased online for less than $100, while the Genuine Advantage Kit is $150.   

Thanks

S3

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Are you sure the seller is selling "genuine" Microsoft software and not a counterfeit version?  You don't want to wind up in the same situation!  Usually, when a price is much lower than current market value, the software is not genuine!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:36 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:
    Are you sure the seller is selling "genuine" Microsoft software and not a counterfeit version? 

Yes.

The question I asked Steve still stands. 

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:22 PM
  • S32Herk,

You can install XP Pro over your non-genuine version XP Pro. Please keep in mind it is best to completely format the computer and perform a fresh installation of Windows. This will alleviate possible future problems down the road. As far as purchasing XP online for $100 please be cautious and make sure it is genuine. Sometimes a bargin really isn't a bargin. Please review the following website for more information:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ Maybe this will provide you with details. Hopefully this has answered your question.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 1, 2007 12:07 AM