Do not wish to auto download RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Live One Care, but it almost demands that I download every update. I DO NOT wish to auto download my updates, I would like to be notified of a possibly important download, and then I should be able to decide to download the update.  How can I keep my Live One Care program from running the not protected logo all the time?
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:50 PM Tune-up monitors the AU settings (From:Windows Live OneCare General)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:24 AM

Answers

• OneCare is designed specifically to perform these automatic updates to insure your PC has all of the latest protection in place, it's for the 'set-it-and-forget-it' crowd who don't wish to be bothered with maintaining their PC, but just want to use it.  If this isn't what you wanted, then you have purchased entirely the wrong product, which is why there is a 90 day free trial available to learn how the product operates.

OneCare will be ending sales as of June 30th, 2009 and will be replaced later this year by a free anti-malware only (no backup, firewall, hub) product called Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).  The detections updates are still automatic, though there is an Update button available to download them more frequently.  I also understand that program updates are planned to be offered for download and installation rather than automatic.

If you only require complete antivirus/antispyware protection and can get your other tools elsewhere, MSE might be a better fit for you when it releases later this year.

Rob
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:19 AM

All replies

• OneCare is designed specifically to perform these automatic updates to insure your PC has all of the latest protection in place, it's for the 'set-it-and-forget-it' crowd who don't wish to be bothered with maintaining their PC, but just want to use it.  If this isn't what you wanted, then you have purchased entirely the wrong product, which is why there is a 90 day free trial available to learn how the product operates.

OneCare will be ending sales as of June 30th, 2009 and will be replaced later this year by a free anti-malware only (no backup, firewall, hub) product called Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).  The detections updates are still automatic, though there is an Update button available to download them more frequently.  I also understand that program updates are planned to be offered for download and installation rather than automatic.

If you only require complete antivirus/antispyware protection and can get your other tools elsewhere, MSE might be a better fit for you when it releases later this year.

Rob
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:19 AM
  • I have a subscription to this product until May of 2010, Will they refund the difference when they institute a new program?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:32 PM
  • I have a subscription to this product until May of 2010, Will they refund the difference when they institute a new program?

Not as far as I know.
    Your subscription will be fully supported through to May of 2010. If you choose to switch to the new free product before then, the subscription still remains valid.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:48 PM