XP reload requires IMMEDIATE activation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm reloading a laptop (Acer, Travelmate 2340). I loaded it once, and it failed validation. I reset the key to the key on the COA tag on the machine, and it validated. Then, on logon, it said it wasn't validated, you must validate to log on, took me to the validation screen, and it said it was already validated!

Refused to allow me to log on in safe mode, or normal mode, so I couldn't go any further.

Tried to reload it again. Wiped all hard disk partitions, formated the entire drive as one big partition, started over. System finishes installation, adjusts the screen, then goes directly to the "You must validate to log on" message again.

This is all happening in the course of a single day, and no date/time changes have been made.

It can't connect to any validation servers, because XP doesn't have native NIC drivers. I must log on to install them.

Once I finally DO get to the validation section, the portion where it shows the installation key to give to the phone service, it only has dashes ( ------- ). There are no numbers to key in.

What must I do to reload this sytem? Any help is appreciated...

Chase
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:56 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I guess I could list the answers to the questions...

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

Can't perform any of those steps, as I can't log on at all, ever. I've reloaded three times, and it does the same thing.

1. XP Home

2. "Windows XP Home Edition

Acer Incorporated

CO.XPH01.008

Never get to the point I can run anything.

Thanks for any assistance....

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Chaissos,

It appears you are having an activation problem verses validation problem.  Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 11:48 PM

All replies

• Sorry, I guess I could list the answers to the questions...

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

Can't perform any of those steps, as I can't log on at all, ever. I've reloaded three times, and it does the same thing.

1. XP Home

2. "Windows XP Home Edition

Acer Incorporated

CO.XPH01.008

Never get to the point I can run anything.

Thanks for any assistance....

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Chaissos,

It appears you are having an activation problem verses validation problem.  Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the response, and I'm sorry I'm in this forum with this issue, however there IS no forum for activation, and apparently it's quite the issue for various people.

This is not new to me, as I've been working with Microsoft products and Windows since MS-DOS v.3, and every every flavor of it along the way. Vista is new to me, but it is to most people.

We've tried a different key, and we've logged on successfully, so maybe it was a problem with the existing key. That's really unfortunate, since not many home users will have a different key at their house they could use if they run into this problem, nor as many systems as I have at my disposal to test various things out.

So, to reiterate, what happened was after a complete disk wipe and reload, the system immediately prompts for activation. We never even get to the point of setting up the users. No splash screen for video optimization, nothing. Just the activation window, and we can't log on enough to even install the NIC drivers. The activation screen doesn't even fill itself in most of the time - normally just the window outline.

If the activation process actually runs (which it does after a hard reboot at that point) telephone contact with the activation hotline doesn't work, since there is no code on the screen to give them, merely the dashes where the code should be. If I go through the "Change Key" process, I get an installation code, but then on reboot (or even an attempt to log on), it goes back to the same thing.

This is extremely frustrating for me, and I'm experienced with this type of thing. Perhaps this is just an Acer problem, I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for trying.

Chase
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:13 PM
  • "justsurfing" is having the same problem I am. His (her) post is:

Invalid installation ID

So I'm not the only one who's being messed up by this. Apparently it's a bigger issue.
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:19 PM
  • Chase,

Did you receive a recovery software disc @ the time of purchase? Are you trying to use the recovery software or are you using a different disc? The recovery software disc should completely restore your Acer laptop back to factory settings as if you had just purchased it. In turn the product key located on the COA should work with only that particular recovery media used. Have you contacted ACER technical support and asked them if there are any problems whatsoever with your particular model?  In turn they would provide you with support since the software is considered OEM. Please let me know what software you are currently using.  Thank you Chase.

Stephen Holm, MS

Saturday, December 8, 2007 3:52 AM
  • hello,

i don't now if this is still in progress.

i am from holland i just baught a acer travelmate 4050 for my son.

the software installed on this notebook is not legal.

i don't have any cd's and i can't recover the system.

can you help me to get a copy off the cd?

the product is xp home C0.XPH01.004

with kind regards krosby's

Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:39 AM
  • "krosby's" wrote in message news:e706cd10-a210-4ba3-bfd6-60c26e8f32e0...

can you help me to get a copy off the cd?

Order a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:29 AM