Windows Home Server 2011 Install Is Pretty Dismal! RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to get this loaded on a Dell 2950 with a PERC 5i raid card. I've tried everything under the sun and everything on the net that I can find including using the LSI driver. All to no avail. It goes through the load.... Expanding files... to rebooting but the reboot stalls out after the Perc 5i boots up. Does anyone out there have any ideas. If I can't run this OS on a decent server then I am going to ask for my $$$ back.

Windows 2008 Enterprise 64 bit loads fine on this server so no problems with the server itself. Bios on the 2950 has been brought up to 2.7.0 which is the latest version.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:11 PM

Answers

• As it turns out my DVD was defective! I downloaded WHS and the burned ISO which loaded on WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL DRIVERS needed. So that means the Perc 5i drivers are already part of the install package. This is after all based on Windows 2008 server and that also includeds the Perc 5i drivers built into the package. I have worked with lots of Dell 2850's and 2950's over the years... they are great enterprise servers you can depend on to run 24/7, and they can be had dirt cheap! I only paid $200 for this 2950 sans the drives and it sports Dual 5050 Xeons, 8 gb ram and dual GB NICs among other things. They all have dual redundant power supplies. The 2011 version runs great on this and I'll be passing on myoriginal WHS to a friend. It has been running on a Dell 2850 since the Beta test stuff was released.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• From Dell:

Operating System Requirements

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 for Intel EM64T, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition

Nothing particularly new there so perhaps it is indeed not compatible with a newer OS.

As you have bought an OEM product, not sure who will be giving you your $$$s back.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:40 PM
  • The Enterprise SKU may indeed have a different default driver package than WHS 2011.

If this particular RAID card is unsupported OOB, I suggest installing the OS to the system disk attached to the first motherboard SATA port, then dealing with drivers for the RAID card and additional storage post-installation. 

Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:50 PM
  • Those are actually the OS requirements for a series 1 2950. Dell manufactured these for quite some time stopping at Series 3. A Series 1 with the bios upgraded to 2.7.0 will run anything under the sun but won't accept Quad Core Xeon, only runs 50XX series Xeons... 2 5050's in my case.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:46 PM
  • As it turns out my DVD was defective! I downloaded WHS and the burned ISO which loaded on WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL DRIVERS needed. So that means the Perc 5i drivers are already part of the install package. This is after all based on Windows 2008 server and that also includeds the Perc 5i drivers built into the package. I have worked with lots of Dell 2850's and 2950's over the years... they are great enterprise servers you can depend on to run 24/7, and they can be had dirt cheap! I only paid $200 for this 2950 sans the drives and it sports Dual 5050 Xeons, 8 gb ram and dual GB NICs among other things. They all have dual redundant power supplies. The 2011 version runs great on this and I'll be passing on myoriginal WHS to a friend. It has been running on a Dell 2850 since the Beta test stuff was released.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Nice...!  glad you got it sorted.

Best,

G

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:08 PM