none
Thread refreshing RRS feed

• Question

• I have my account set-up to view threads from 5 forums. I leave the browser open and new/updated threads come in and are colored gold/yellow (whatever).

I will click refresh on the browser or "My Forums Threads" on occasion and several threads appear that have time stamps anywhere from minutes to hours old that have not been in my list prior to the last refresh and sometimes they do not appear to sort correctly. I will see a thread that was new a hour ago but it will be way down the page below older posts.

Is there a setting I am missing?  Is there some sort of buffering or hold on some threads before they are posted? I sort by most recent post.

It happens Mozilla and IE on XP and Vista machines.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:22 PM

Answers

• Both the My Forums Threads and the My Threads pages suffer from the same kind of defects.  They are generated by an "aggregator", a sub-system that collects data from several dbase shards.  This sub-system has been a source of trouble since early this year.  It randomly drops threads and mangles the sort order.  Other things go wrong too, moving threads often fails for example.

I've switched back from My Threads to email alerts.  The forum thread views are good, I bookmarked them with the Unread filter turned on and use Firefox's "Open in all threads" feature to create my own My Forums.  Not sure if that's a very good workaround, it's serviceable.

Hans Passant.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:12 PM

All replies

• Both the My Forums Threads and the My Threads pages suffer from the same kind of defects.  They are generated by an "aggregator", a sub-system that collects data from several dbase shards.  This sub-system has been a source of trouble since early this year.  It randomly drops threads and mangles the sort order.  Other things go wrong too, moving threads often fails for example.

I've switched back from My Threads to email alerts.  The forum thread views are good, I bookmarked them with the Unread filter turned on and use Firefox's "Open in all threads" feature to create my own My Forums.  Not sure if that's a very good workaround, it's serviceable.

Hans Passant.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Thanks I may try that.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:24 PM