Second SATA drive not intializing RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have two identical internal 1TB Western Digital 10EACS Sata 3 drives that I purchased specifically to build my WHS box. I connected both before install, and during intsall it didn't prompt me for drivers. Then the blue "install" screens came up where I would have pressed F6 to intsall drivers but since I thought it identified the drives I didn't do anything.

Setup completed successfully and everything works except I only see one of the drives. The Server Storage tab only shows 1TB available. I went to the Disk Managment utility and it shows my second drive but as "Not Initialized". It also prompts me to start the "Initialize and Convert Disk Wizard". I tried this but it fails.

I can't find a solution online. The closest thing that I've found is a post on this forum describing how you should install with only one drive connected and then plug in the second one after everything works. Do I really need to reinstall just to get the drive to be seen? What about my domain name @ homeserver.com? Will I still have access to that? Will I have to call MS to authorize a second authorization of my WHS license?

Any help is appreciated.

Monday, January 21, 2008 6:29 PM

All replies

• I've had disks with trouble like that before when putting together external drives. I would pop the drive out and stick it into a regular PC. Open Administrative Tools in the 'classic' control panel, then click on Computer Management and click on Disk Management in the left pane near the bottom. The disk should show up as uninitialized in this list along with the rest of your computer's drives.

I can't remember exactly what to do from here, I think you can right click on the drive and initialize it that way. Or at least set it as active. Anyway, it isn't a complicated process at that point, I just don't have any uninitialized drives around to let me complete the steps.

Good luck!

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:22 PM
  • I only have the option to "Initialize Disk" in Disk Manager and that fails with the following error:

---------------------------
    Logical Disk Manager
    ---------------------------
    The operation did not complete. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error.

Unfortunately there are no entries in the System Event Log indicating any errors. Maybe this is a bad drive?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:53 AM
  • Sounds like it could be a bad drive. You might try hooking it into another power connecting / sata connector inside your case.

If that doesn't work, you should just get it replaced.

Also, see if you can try another random drive in your server...just to make sure the sata connector is working right in the first place.

Good luck!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Hi,

i seem to have simmilar Problems. I tried with 2 500GB HDDs, Installation went smooth, but the Windows Homeserver Console could not be startet on that machine. There is a task in the processes, but you can not see the actual window. Same thing when trying to install the remote-console on a client: when starting the console (which found the whs before!), the window turns light blue and freezes. Of course i tried restarts ect.

Assuming that perhaps the server has problems with one of the drives - which he correctly identified at the install - i reinstalled with only 1 drive connected (the other one on course). With only one drive present, the console works, on the server as well as on the client. I stopped the system, reconnected the 2nd drive, restart and: same problem, no console.

When i start the disk manager on the server, that one freezes as well.

Before all that, i lost about one third of my music thanks to the problem with the temp-files which corrupts data on the whs when you change data using applications. I used winamp for editing id-tags.

All-in-all i am pretty much disappointed:

- A bug which destroyes data on a system which you are supposed to use for backups and now you must backup as well.
    - When a mobile device such as a usb-hdd is connected to the client, it fails to initiate the computer-backup. it should at least be clever enough to see the difference to a build in device
    - The server itself is installed on only one of the drives in the server. If that hdd dies, the server dies as well and has to be reinstalled... there are more clever ideas.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:31 PM