Does Remote Access work from behind a proxy? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to connect from work to my WHS machine and I'm having some problems.

However, I think I've narrowed it down to the fact that my work requires ALL outbound connections to go through our proxy server.

Internet Explorer is configured to use this proxy server so any traffic through it works fine, but WHS Remote Access uses a COM object (MsRdpClient) to connect to the TS Gateway on the WHS server.

I believe this is failing because it's not going through my work's proxy server.

Can anybody tell me if this is true?

I know the problem isn't my ports or anything like that.  (and I can access my WHS web pages just fine;  it's only when I try to connect to the server itself through remote access)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• Yes, it's likely that your office IT staff have blocked port 4125, or have otherwise configured their proxy server so that it's not permitting you to connect.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Yes, that port is blocked but I've changed it to listen on port 9000 (which isn't blocked).

However, I believe the problem I'm having is that the MsRdpClient object isn't using my work's proxy server when it's trying to connect to my home server.

Do you know how that object works?
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:20 PM
  • That object is a "black box" supplied by Microsoft.

I'll point out that if your IT has blocked your access to your server intentionally, you're taking a risk if you pursue this. You could always ask them about it, though. If they're having a slow day they might even be willing to help you troubleshoot. (It's much better to have local assistance. :) ) Or, if it's against corporate policy, they might narc you out...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:32 PM