Recent update and Multi-Monitors RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I must admit that I had kind of quit using Mesh because the remote feature was pretty much unusable to me but when I noticed an update I decided to try it again.
    Wow, remote worked great. It was fast and usable and even handled my multiple monitors ok. I was quite impressed.
    Then a day or two later I logged in again and it wasn't quite the same. My experience is a bit odd so I thought I would relate it here to see if maybe I've done something wrong.

My home computer has dual monitors. My main monitor is to the left of my second monitor and they are of different resolutions. The second monitor is smaller. I use Nvida to run the multi desktops. I have my desktop set to "streach" across the two monitors. In other words, Two monitors, one Windows Desktop.
    My work computer is much simpler. A single monitor.

Usually, when I remote from work to home I set remote desktop to "show monitors actual size". This way I can do what I need to do on the main monitor at home and just ignore the second monitor, unless I have to retreive a program from there. This works ok. It's not ideal, but I'm not complaining.
    The last time I logged in I got some weird view of my monitors. My main monitor was displayed in the lower left and my second monitor was in the upper right.
    When I selected "display actual size" it still had a very large black space above my main desktop.
    I shrugged it off and forgot about it.

When I got home I found out why it was so messed up.
    Mesh had reconfigured my monitors so that the curtain display (whatever that is) was located to the right of my main monitor and my second monitor was located below my main monitor. (in display properties, on the page where you can drag your "desktops" around to arange them as they sit on your desk)
    In other words, it had just changed everything all up.

I was able to set it back without too much trouble but I'm left with the following questions.
    Is this a one time thing? A bug?
    Where should the "Curtain" display be located? To the left, right, bottom or top? Does it matter? Should it be "enabled"? (it's shown as disabled when viewed locally)

Am I just missing something?

And since you took the time to read all of that I might as well throw out my usability suggestion for multi desktops. The best one I ever saw had a large arrow button on the side where the second monitor was. You would click this button and it would "scroll" over to the other monitor. Then you would click the arrow again to "scroll" back. That's a good remote multi desktop setup.

Thanks for your time.
    Brian Covey
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:00 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the detailed description of the issue. Yes, you should most certainly file a bug report. Copying the post above would be perfect and add your logs per the information here: 

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Then post a link to your bug report here so others can vote and comment.

I would also check the suggestions thread for your suggestion and file a new one on Connect or vote/comment on an existing one if you find one that matches what you are recommending.

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:58 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the detailed description of the issue. Yes, you should most certainly file a bug report. Copying the post above would be perfect and add your logs per the information here: 

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Then post a link to your bug report here so others can vote and comment.

I would also check the suggestions thread for your suggestion and file a new one on Connect or vote/comment on an existing one if you find one that matches what you are recommending.

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Thank you.
    Yes, I submitted this:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=429722

Hopefully this weekend I'll have more time to work on this. Unfortunantly, troubleshooting a Remote issue is difficult since you cannot be in both places at once.
    I've submitted my logs from my Work (client) computer ... I'll add the logs from my home (server or remote) computer as soon as possible.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Thanks for filing the bug. You mean you can't be in two places at once? <g>
    -steve
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:27 PM