Visual Basic 6 IDE RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anywhere I could get a copy of Visual Basic 6 off MSDN? I have a client who needs a minor bug fix. And fixing the VB6 code will be faster than re-writing the DLL.

Many thanks

Monday, April 4, 2016 8:14 PM

Answers

• Is there anywhere I could get a copy of Visual Basic 6 off MSDN? I have a client who needs a minor bug fix. And fixing the VB6 code will be faster than re-writing the DLL.

Many thanks

If you have an MSDN subscription you can download VB6 from the subscriber downloads site.

Short of that I think you would need to try to find a boxed copy for sale somewhere (eBay?) or take some other route to acquire a copy.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Proposed as answer by Devon_Nullman Monday, April 4, 2016 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Monday, April 18, 2016 4:39 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 9:13 PM

All replies

• MS no longer supports anything VB 6.
    Monday, April 4, 2016 8:59 PM

Many thanks

If you have an MSDN subscription you can download VB6 from the subscriber downloads site.

Short of that I think you would need to try to find a boxed copy for sale somewhere (eBay?) or take some other route to acquire a copy.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Proposed as answer by Devon_Nullman Monday, April 4, 2016 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Monday, April 18, 2016 4:39 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 9:13 PM
  • Hi JChard,

This forum is about the .NET Framework Visual Basic programming language, IDE, libraries, samples, and tools, not for VB6 questions as mentioned above. So, you’d better refer to Reed Kimble’s suggestion to achieve your goal.

Now, I would move this thread to “off topic”. If you any issues about VB.NET development, you are welcome to post them here.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Albert Zhang

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:44 AM

Many thanks

This is a typical issue faced with VB6 programming, and one not fully addressed by Microsoft.

Microsoft support VB6 on Windows 7, 8 and 10 for the lifetime of the operating system (so until at least 2025 for Windows 10). 

" https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx "

But they don't allow a free download of the VB6 IDE. You need to have a MSDN subscription to download VB6, otherwise buy a copy from Ebay.

Saturday, April 9, 2016 9:05 AM