Can I Restore from 5 days ago? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have configured my backup to run each day. It has been running for a couple of months now. I wish to restore a single access db file, however it appears I can only recover the version of the file that was saved when backup last occurred i.e. yesterday. Is there a way to restore an earlier version of this this file backed up, say 5 days ago? Or is it only possible to restore that last backed up version of this file?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 9:47 AM

All replies

• I think that you may be able to select the backup set by doing a custom restore, but I can't say that for sure. I know that the current catalog, or list of backed up files, will reflect the latest complete backup - hence the newest version, but I believe the older versions are stored, just not listed in the current catalog. Try a custom restore to select a specific backup date. Please let us know how that goes.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Yes I have tried custom restore,  but it only provides one file in the list, the latest one. Not being able to restore a file from say five backups ago is a serious omission in the spec of a backup system as far as I am concerned. I think I need to change to a more serious product.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:58 PM
  • I'll leave the thread unanswered as I don't have a definitive one for you. I can say, that OneCare backup is intended to allow recovery of data that is lost due to a computer crash or other problem (even accidental deletion), though it is not intended to handle versioning. If you need this functionality, then you are correct - another backup solution may be better for you.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Sorry but I cannot understand what is the reason to save all the older version if you cannot take them out.
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 12:45 PM