How do you keep DATA shares OFF the Primary OS drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, maybe I am just too tired this weekend, but here is the problem, and thank you all in advance for any direction you can provide.

It was time to get homogeneous in my WHS environment, so the last 4 days have been data backup so I could get the same series and size drives in the system as a whole.  The desired setup now is as follows:

1 x 80GB Seagate 7200 - PRIMARY OS drive

7 x 1.5TB Seagate 7200 - DATA Store

I run the install and finish up the WHS, and what I have ended up with in initial setup is the 80GB drive split into a 20GB (OS) and a 54GB (DATA) drive, with data shares loaded into this secondary partition.

Now that I have the OS setup, is there a way for me to kill the partition on the primary OS drive and recreate the DATA share when I add all the 1.5TB drives to the data share pool?

Did I miss/fat finger something in the initial install?  I am assuming that any association with the primary OS drive and the DATA drive being on the same physical drive is going to cause a degradation in performance.  

Can I recreate the DATA shares on the 1.5 drive pool and then use a 3rd party program to 'grow' the primary OS partition, removing that partition, in essence?

thank you again for any direction and help.

-Andrew

Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:42 PM

Answers

• Ok, maybe I am just too tired this weekend, but here is the problem, and thank you all in advance for any direction you can provide.

It was time to get homogeneous in my WHS environment, so the last 4 days have been data backup so I could get the same series and size drives in the system as a whole.  The desired setup now is as follows:

I run the install and finish up the WHS, and what I have ended up with in initial setup is the 80GB drive split into a 20GB (OS) and a 54GB (DATA) drive, with data shares loaded into this secondary partition.

Now that I have the OS setup, is there a way for me to kill the partition on the primary OS drive and recreate the DATA share when I add all the 1.5TB drives to the data share pool? 

No.  However, data gets saved to the primary drive last.  (Note that the next version of WHS (codename Vail) does have that ability.  It's currently in beta.) 

Did I miss/fat finger something in the initial install?  I am assuming that any association with the primary OS drive and the DATA drive being on the same physical drive is going to cause a degradation in performance.

I don't have that problem.

Can I recreate the DATA shares on the 1.5 drive pool and then use a 3rd party program to 'grow' the primary OS partition, removing that partition, in essence?

I would advise against trying it (because it would be unsupported and I can see all sorts of problems occuring if you do).

-Andrew

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Javad0g Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:23 PM
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

No.  However, data gets saved to the primary drive last.  (Note that the next version of WHS (codename Vail) does have that ability.  It's currently in beta.) 

I don't have that problem.

I would advise against trying it (because it would be unsupported and I can see all sorts of problems occuring if you do).

-Andrew

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Javad0g Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:23 PM
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:58 PM
  • really appreciate the response so quick, and thank you for the clarification on performance degradation.  I guess my only complaint would be then, the fact that windows explorer will always report that data 'partition' as  54GB partition, when in essence, its 9.2TB.

as a MPP, do we have access to the beta of WHS 'vail'?  (funny, i was born and raised in vail colorado....).  I would love to start taking a look at it now.

thank you again for the quick response and clarification

Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:04 PM
  • really appreciate the response so quick, and thank you for the clarification on performance degradation.  I guess my only complaint would be then, the fact that windows explorer will always report that data 'partition' as  54GB partition, when in essence, its 9.2TB.  
    Yes, but logging into the server desktop is unsupported so you should never see it anyway.  :)  It will show the total space of D as 54 GB, but the free space as 9.2 TB.

as a MPP, do we have access to the beta of WHS 'vail'?

Everyone does, it's a public beta.  You can download it from Connect.

(funny, i was born and raised in vail colorado....).  I would love to start taking a look at it now.

thank you again for the quick response and clarification

Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:14 PM
  • heh, yes, I know I should never 'see' it anyway...*wink*

the guy who likes to poke around with anything hardware and software related has a real hard time NOT looking under the hood, so to speak.

again, Kariya, really appreciate the time, thanks for the help.  Marked your first response as the answer.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:24 PM
  • heh, yes, I know I should never 'see' it anyway...*wink*

the guy who likes to poke around with anything hardware and software related has a real hard time NOT looking under the hood, so to speak. 

Yes, I know.  I wouldn't have learned anywhere near as much about WHS if I wasn't the same way.  ;)  The main thing to remember with the WHS server desktop is "look, don't touch".

again, Kariya, really appreciate the time, thanks for the help.  Marked your first response as the answer.

Also, if you decide to download and install Vail (which, IMO, is better than v1 in many ways), there is a forum for that as well.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:32 PM