An option to exit applications RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would like it if the applications that come with Windows Mobile had an option to exit them, like most commercial applications have. This way, you wouldn't have to go to Task Manager and have them killed.
    Monday, October 29, 2007 5:49 PM

All replies

• My Dopod 838 Pro's Windows Mobile 6 upgrade came with a task manager setting under Settings that allows you to change the default action of the 'X' button, but it may be a Dopod/HTC extra that isn't part of Windows.

To be honest I prefer the default action not to close an application as generally there's not any need to... unless I'm watching a video or the PDA slows down too much, leaving programs running doesn't cause a problem and allows you to re-open them more quickly. However having to go into Settings to shut an application down is very annoying. There's quite a few third party task managers around which change the default action of the 'X' button and/or let you choose to close or minimize a program easily from there. I've tried quite a few of them and tMan is my favourite. You can also turn off the screen, soft reset or suspend your PDA from it's drop down menu, as well as add applications to an ignore list etc. It even has an exceptions list that lets you over-ride it's global close settings for individual programs, and best of all it's free.

If you look at the picture in the link below, you'll see a dropdown list of running programs. Clicking on the programs name will bring it to the foreground, clicking in the 'X' box beside it will close that application.

http://pda.jasnapaka.com/tman
    Friday, November 2, 2007 6:13 AM
  • PS I remember reading a while back that one of the reasons many applications don't have an exit function is because Microsoft strongly disapproved of it and wouldn't officially 'approve' of an application that had an exit menu. They wanted their OS to work more like other mobile phone/PDA OS's which don't close programs, specifically the Palm OS which kicked Windows Mobile's butt in terms of sales for quite a while.

Friday, November 2, 2007 6:22 AM
  • i use TranCreative Magic Button, its sortof like a task bar, it replaces the ok button at the top left with an "X", to minimize an app you press ok. It doesn't come with wm6, but it should, and anyone who has wm6 should have this free program.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 4:05 PM