Unexpected Live Mesh Remote Desktop behavior when trying to use Remote Desktop Connection RRS feed

• Question

• I didn't submit a bug, because I want to ask if what I saw  is the "expected" or "makes sense" behavior...

I have Live Mesh on my workstation at work. I connected to an internal server using Remote Desktop Connection. This server is available ONLY on our internal network, and I wanted to monitor some stuff from home. I locked the server session, but left RDC running on my workstation. Then I locked my workstation and went home.

Later last night, I connected from my home PC to my workstation via the Live Mesh Remote Desktop. Worked fine.

But when I tried to enter my password into the dialog box in the RDC window (so try to get back onto my server session), I kept getting a "the password you entered is incorrect" - basically, it wouldn't let me log on. The password I was typing WAS correct.

When I got into work this morning and unlocked my workstation, I typed the same password into the RDC session and logged in right away.

So my question is: Does the Live Mesh Remote Desktop somehow send keystrokes in a manner that would be incompatible with Remote Desktop Connection? (Come to think of it, I tried launching RDC once when I established a Live Mesh Remote Desktop and it wouldn't work either...)
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:07 PM

Answers

• Turns out this is a known bug - apparently a right-shift combination isn't being sent properly, but a left-shift is. So when I was typing my password, I used right-shift to get a capital letter, but that didn't work. I was asked to try repeating my access but using left-shift to get capital letters, and that worked. Weird. I let the Connect folks know that this was the case, per their request.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi GuyWithDogs,

This actually sounds like a bug.  We'd like to take a look at the logs if we can.  Please submit a bug report when you're able.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Friday, July 11, 2008 8:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by GuyWithDogs Friday, July 11, 2008 8:41 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Which machine am I submitting logs from?? The one at home that I was typing on, or the one at work that I was connected to?
    Friday, July 11, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

It would be most helpful if we could get logs from both machines, if at all possible.  If you only have access to one set of logs now, you should be able to submit a bug with the logs you have, then add the other set of logs when next it's convenient.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 8:24 PM
  • OK - submitted bug 355886 on Connect...
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Friday, July 11, 2008 8:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by GuyWithDogs Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:51 PM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Turns out this is a known bug - apparently a right-shift combination isn't being sent properly, but a left-shift is. So when I was typing my password, I used right-shift to get a capital letter, but that didn't work. I was asked to try repeating my access but using left-shift to get capital letters, and that worked. Weird. I let the Connect folks know that this was the case, per their request.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Hi GuyWithDogs,

After our conversation via Connect, I came here to let others know what the issue is - but you beat me to it.  :)

Thanks again for your help in testing Live Mesh!

Ben.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:13 PM
  • This is still the case with the latest Tech Review...
    Friday, September 26, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Yup, I can confirm this is still an issue. I was getting rather frustrated with this issue, but using Left-Shift worked. Does that have anything to do with the keyboard layouts installed?

I have Japanese, English and Bulgarian layouts installed on all 3 machines i am syncing with. I haven't tried cycling through layouts once, and trying the password again... Anyways, thanks for the workaround!
    Monday, February 1, 2010 10:36 AM