Firewall with Source Safe and VS.net RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

This question is for the developers out there.

While building and running a program I am working on in VS.Net, OneCare will always ask me if I want to allow the program access to the internet. I've noticed that this only does this when I have a project under source control with source safe. Source safe is running on a seperate box. Is there a way to stop this from asking me everytime I build without having to turn off the firewall for 1hour or more? Hopefully someone could provide a good idea. TIA.

Jason Nowicki

The Professional Developer

MCP, A+, MCAD, BSCS

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:21 PM

Answers

• I'm not a developer, but I can tell you the answer - no.

OneCare uses a hash and the version to determine if the program is known or not. If you are building a program, it is changed. Therefore, you will be prompted to allow or block since it is not a known program.

-steve

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:39 AM

All replies

• I'm not a developer, but I can tell you the answer - no.

OneCare uses a hash and the version to determine if the program is known or not. If you are building a program, it is changed. Therefore, you will be prompted to allow or block since it is not a known program.

-steve

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Interesting thought Steve, however this only happens when the project is under source control. If I do not have the program attached to Source Safe then it never asks me to allow or deny when I'm building. Any more ideas?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Okay, I may be wrong in the specifics as it occurs to me that I don't know the specific functionality of Source Safe.

Does your code actually access the Internet while you are building without the project being under source control? Perhaps the question is best answered by a developer.  I'll unmark the thread from being answered and perhaps someone will step in for you!

-steve

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:30 AM