System Disk restore suggestion RRS feed

• General discussion

• I apologize if this has been suggested before but I looked and did not see it.

I think that if you server has more than 1 drive (which I assume most will), WHS should regularly backup all of the system settings, user settings, shared folder settings and anything else they can think of to a separate physical drive.  In the event of a system drive failure, when the user has installed the new drive and they are running the server recovery option to reload the OS, it will look for this backup information and make the whole recovery process easier.  It would recreate all of the users, computers, backup settings (not actual backups), and shared folder settings, static IP (if you use one), workgroup name, server name.......

I know that it's not that difficult to recreate all of these settings, but it just seems like it would make the whole process easier and less daunting for the common user.  The space required to backup up these settings would be very minimal.  Probably less than a 1MB file.

Another suggestion would be to have the option to manually backup all of these settings to a flash drive or some other media.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:49 PM

All replies

• I like that idea.  I would also be handy if you decide  that the main physical drive is too small and upgrade it.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:33 PM