How can I Auto Backup Win2000 computers? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I read that WHS only auto backups xp and vista?I have 2 win2000 computers on my home network. I need  WHS to auto backup them also. How can I do this? If WHS can't auto backup it's own OS's (win2000), it isn't any good to me. Also, does WHS really "mirror" all of the data on ALL of the server drives? Say a hard drive dies, can I just pull it, replace it with a new one, and have it "rebuild" that drive like in RAID?

Thanks

-Rogue

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:37 AM

All replies

• Reasons that I can think of that Win2k isn't supported on WHS:

- Win2k is, technically, an enterprise (rather than home) OS, and WHS is meant as a home server solution (hence the name.)

- Win2k manstream support ended June 2005:  http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&p1=3071&x=12&y=9

As for mirroring: 

Any shared folders that have Folder Duplication turned 'on' have all of their files duplicated on a second HDD in the storage pool.  Folders that do NOT have duplication turned on do not; same goes for the OS itself, as well as your computer backup files.  The OS can easily be reinstalled, and losing your backups is no risk - they can easily be recreated.

And, basically, yes.  You remove the dead drive from the storage pool (via the WHS console), shutdown, and change the drive.  Boot, and add the new drive to the pool.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Windows Home Server only supports XP and Vista because some system APIs that the connector uses are only available on those operating systems. So it will not be possible to install the connector on a Windows 2000 PC and have it work.

Regarding duplication, it's applied at the network share level, not the drive level. And yes, WHS does keep two copies of files in such shares, on two physical drives. Should a drive with duplicated files fail, you replace it and WHs rebuilds the duplicates.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:48 AM