Removing failing harddrive with Duplication turn on RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a HDD failure on my WHS system.  When it started failing I tried to remove the drive from the drive pool using Server Storage in the Console.  But the drive would always fail again before the removal process is complete.  I'm now getting a series of File Conflicts and some files seem to be inaccessible now, although I can still see them there. 

My question is this:  Since all the drive shares for the data pool are set with Duplicate on, then couldn't I physically remove the failing drive, and then select Remove from the Server Storage tab?  Would this essentially resolve the file conflicts, and reestablish the duplication?  In theory, with all files being duplicated in the shares, I shouldn't lose any data from a single drive failure.  Right? 

Please correct me if I'm missing something.  I just want to nuke the failing drive, but do it the proper way for WHS to ensure my duplications work and no files are lost.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:26 AM

Answers

• Shut your server down, disconnect the drive, reboot and remove the "missing" drive (after making sure you've got the right drive :) ).

And see this FAQ for a description of data loss risks in a single drive failure scenario.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:47 PM