Windows 7 - Now says not Genuine, but it absolutely is RRS feed

• Question

• I Purchaed an Advent PC - has Foxconn motherboard - from PCworld (brand new).

I have recently updated the Bios to improve hardware compatability and now my Windows 7 says this copy of Windows 7 is not genuine.

Why is this??? The only change made was to the Bios. The computer now reports as Foxconn instead of Advent, would this have something to do with it?

Please help.

Thanks

Colin

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

I've gust gone through the reactivation process and it worked. Must have been something to do with me using Foxconn's Bios instead of Advents. All working again - PHEW!! :-)

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Hello Colin9999,

What probably happened when you installed the Foxconn BIOS is the special data embedded in the BIOS that allows SLP installations of Windows to activate was overwritten.  The extract below is from a post in the Vista section, but I think if you ran the mgadiag report on your system, you'd see pretty much the same thing:

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: no, invalid SLIC table

Plan B for such an occasion is the change product key method using the product key on the CoA.

Lesson learned:  Unlike some other driver updates, where you can get better drivers from the component manufacturer (like display mfrs nVidia and ATI) than from the item's named vendor, in the case of the motherboard, it's best to get the BIOS updates ONLY from the named system vendor rather than the component manufacturer for just this reason---to not overwrite the SLIC table needed for SLP activation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hello Colin9999,

Did you download the BIOS from Foxconn or Advent?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Friday, May 21, 2010 1:12 AM
  • I downloaded the Bios from the Foxconn site as theirs had newer Bios.

I wasn't that impressed with Advent.

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Hi Dan,

I've gust gone through the reactivation process and it worked. Must have been something to do with me using Foxconn's Bios instead of Advents. All working again - PHEW!! :-)

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Hello Colin9999,

What probably happened when you installed the Foxconn BIOS is the special data embedded in the BIOS that allows SLP installations of Windows to activate was overwritten.  The extract below is from a post in the Vista section, but I think if you ran the mgadiag report on your system, you'd see pretty much the same thing:

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: no, invalid SLIC table

Plan B for such an occasion is the change product key method using the product key on the CoA.

Lesson learned:  Unlike some other driver updates, where you can get better drivers from the component manufacturer (like display mfrs nVidia and ATI) than from the item's named vendor, in the case of the motherboard, it's best to get the BIOS updates ONLY from the named system vendor rather than the component manufacturer for just this reason---to not overwrite the SLIC table needed for SLP activation.

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:29 AM