Cannot get rid of printer RRS feed

• Question

• After removal of printer on WHS I get into reboots and error messages from WHS. In Device Manager it appears under Other devices/Unknown device. Uninstalling removes the entry, but WHS reports in Event Viewer that communication with Spooler system is failing. The Print Spooler Service is reported Disabled.

No Printer is shown in Printers and Faxes. The only trace of a printer I can find is a program EPSON Printer Software and when trying to Remove it, I am rejected.

How can I effectively remove the printer from WHS - other that reinstalling SW?

Monday, April 26, 2010 6:27 PM

Answers

• I would try reinstalling the printer and printers software, reboot, then try to remove according to instructions overhere.

If this fails please on your server do Start, run, type services.msc, find the spooler service, set to disabled, then try again, if this fails try setting to Automatic and manually start the service, then try again. 

LASTresort: Install RegCleaner. Once installed, open it up and go to the UNINSTALL MENU tab, delete Epson printer related items.

Please note, if you make any errors using administrative programs or tools you risk messing up your install (requiring server reinstall to fix), and in worst case you may even loose data.

• Marked as answer by hauge48 Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:35 AM

All replies

• Server reinstallation/recovery is the only supported way to recover. But before you do that, have you searched on the MIcrosoft Support site for any error messages you may be seeing?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:24 PM
  • I would try reinstalling the printer and printers software, reboot, then try to remove according to instructions overhere.

If this fails please on your server do Start, run, type services.msc, find the spooler service, set to disabled, then try again, if this fails try setting to Automatic and manually start the service, then try again. 

LASTresort: Install RegCleaner. Once installed, open it up and go to the UNINSTALL MENU tab, delete Epson printer related items.

Please note, if you make any errors using administrative programs or tools you risk messing up your install (requiring server reinstall to fix), and in worst case you may even loose data.

• Marked as answer by hauge48 Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Thank you both. My assumtion confirmed. I have pretty much done what you say as the initial attemt.

I go for reinstallation. This is less risky and more straightforward than experimenting with printer drivers, spoolers, printer USB drivers, printer storage card etc. Reminds me of once I tried to get rid of Norton. Made a complete mess of things and reinstalled after weeks of frustration.

This is the second time I reinstall after pressing the limits of WHS. Learned my lesson now.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:58 PM