Can't find build your own specs on WHS 2011. Will this MB/CPU combo work RRS feed

• Question

• Just a quick question..  I can't find the build your own specs on the WHS 2011 web site.
    Can I use an ASUS P5G41T-M LX mother board and an Intel E5700 cpu for the WHS 2011 version

(we have stacks of these in our server room for client builds and it would be very easy for us to use the same MB/CPU combo to build a new WHS 2011 box.)

And will WHS 2011 back up XP clients or just Vista and above?

Thank you,
    Jay

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:36 PM

Answers

• System Requirements

Published: April 26, 2010

Updated: March 30, 2011

Applies To: Windows Home Server 2011

• Windows Home Server 2011 server software is a 64-bit only operating system.
    • You can install the server software either manually or unattended.
    • System Requirements:

• 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
      • 2 GB RAM
      • At least one 160 GB hard drive.
    • NTFS is the only supported file system.
    • Supported Networking Configuration:

1. Your server computer must be connected via a network cable to a router.
      2. The router should be a UPnP-certified device, but it is not required.
      3. The router should be in the 192.168.x.x subnet, but it is not required.

Your motherboard does not formally support server OSs so drivers may be a bit hit and miss although Win 7 64-bit are likely to work. Server 2008 R2 drivers would be better (WHS built on 2008 R2 code base). There should be no problem backing up XP clients - I did until I moved everything to W7.

If you are just using it for backups then you should be fine but if you want to use streaming, here are the guidance notes:

For the best user experience, choose a video streaming resolution quality that is appropriate for your home server processor. The server will automatically adjust the bit rate to one of these settings:

• Low  if the processor score is less than 3.6.
    • Medium  if the processor score is greater than 3.6 and less than 4.2.
    • High  if the processor score is greater than 4.2 and less than 6.0.
    • Best  if the processor score is greater than 6.0.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:11 AM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:50 PM
  • While it's possible to find the minimum system requirements on the Microsoft site, it's arguably easier to go to Wikipedia for your information. :)

As for client backups, Windows Home Server 2011 will back up/restore XP SP3 and above, as long as your client's disks are:

• NTFS,
    • not completely full (backup uses VSS, which requires a certain amount of free space for snapshots), 
    • and not GPT/EFI.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

Just provide an additional resource:

Title: Windows Home Server 2011 Online Help
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/index.aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:16 AM

All replies

• System Requirements

Published: April 26, 2010

Updated: March 30, 2011

Applies To: Windows Home Server 2011

• Windows Home Server 2011 server software is a 64-bit only operating system.
    • You can install the server software either manually or unattended.
    • System Requirements:

• 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
      • 2 GB RAM
      • At least one 160 GB hard drive.
    • NTFS is the only supported file system.
    • Supported Networking Configuration:

1. Your server computer must be connected via a network cable to a router.
      2. The router should be a UPnP-certified device, but it is not required.
      3. The router should be in the 192.168.x.x subnet, but it is not required.

Your motherboard does not formally support server OSs so drivers may be a bit hit and miss although Win 7 64-bit are likely to work. Server 2008 R2 drivers would be better (WHS built on 2008 R2 code base). There should be no problem backing up XP clients - I did until I moved everything to W7.

If you are just using it for backups then you should be fine but if you want to use streaming, here are the guidance notes:

For the best user experience, choose a video streaming resolution quality that is appropriate for your home server processor. The server will automatically adjust the bit rate to one of these settings:

• Low  if the processor score is less than 3.6.
    • Medium  if the processor score is greater than 3.6 and less than 4.2.
    • High  if the processor score is greater than 4.2 and less than 6.0.
    • Best  if the processor score is greater than 6.0.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:51 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:50 PM
  • While it's possible to find the minimum system requirements on the Microsoft site, it's arguably easier to go to Wikipedia for your information. :)

As for client backups, Windows Home Server 2011 will back up/restore XP SP3 and above, as long as your client's disks are:

• NTFS,
    • not completely full (backup uses VSS, which requires a certain amount of free space for snapshots), 
    • and not GPT/EFI.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Thank you for the answers.

I am only using it for back up and restore.
    Most of the clients are Win7 but a couple of stragglers are Win XP SP3.

We had some issues with the original Home Server software not being able to restore a computer and then not able to fix the problem trying every solution found on line.  So for $50 it is worth creating a new server with WHS 2011 and hopng the new version fixes the bugs in the old software.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

Just provide an additional resource:

Title: Windows Home Server 2011 Online Help
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/index.aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:16 AM