Security Concerns RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased the OEM version and installed it on one of my old HP machines. I trust windows home server to backup my computers, but hosting remote connection and hosting a websited concerns me security-wise. Are my fears outdated? What can I do to maximize my security?

Sunday, November 4, 2007 2:31 AM

Answers

• What can you do to maximize your security? Once you've made the decision that you'll use the WHS remote access features, you've decided to accept a certain amount of risk. So use common sense and reduce your server's surface area: Don't install lots of software on WHS. Don't install and use P2P software, especially. Don't use it for surfing the 'net. Don't open up additional ports in your firewalls for convenience. Turn on automatic updates, so that WHS will be protected against high-threat exploits. Use virus protection on all your home PCs, and on WHS when a product is available for it. On WHS, create a single user for Remote Access, and grant that user the minimum possible rights to your shares.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 3:42 AM

All replies

• What can you do to maximize your security? Once you've made the decision that you'll use the WHS remote access features, you've decided to accept a certain amount of risk. So use common sense and reduce your server's surface area: Don't install lots of software on WHS. Don't install and use P2P software, especially. Don't use it for surfing the 'net. Don't open up additional ports in your firewalls for convenience. Turn on automatic updates, so that WHS will be protected against high-threat exploits. Use virus protection on all your home PCs, and on WHS when a product is available for it. On WHS, create a single user for Remote Access, and grant that user the minimum possible rights to your shares.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 3:42 AM
  •  Nate_Run wrote:

I just purchased the OEM version and installed it on one of my old HP machines. I trust windows home server to backup my computers, but hosting remote connection and hosting a websited concerns me security-wise. Are my fears outdated? What can I do to maximize my security?

Your fears are not outdated at all! Do what Ken suggests in his post and addition install decent antivirus software. Personally I would recommend Trend Micro Client/Server Security for SMB. It's not free, but you get a good and easy to manage solution for your home or SOHO network.
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 1:49 PM