SDK has gone live! RRS feed

• General discussion

• We look forward to all the exciting add-ons and tools that will be developed!

SDK Link

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Great news, and a quick question.

I've looked at the API (quick glance), one thing I noticed is that IComputerInfo doesn't expose the MAC address - is there a reason for that?

Thanks,

Matt

Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:10 PM
  • One very good reason might be that applications that use IP networking, like WHS, don't use MAC addresses.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 5:40 AM
  •  Mashman wrote:

Hi,

Great news, and a quick question.

I've looked at the API (quick glance), one thing I noticed is that IComputerInfo doesn't expose the MAC address - is there a reason for that?

Thanks,

Matt

Our general philosophy for the SDK was to enable things in the API that were not possible via standard Windows API calls. In the case of the MAC address, given the hostname, you can get the IP address, and using the networking APIs, you can discover the MAC address.

Can I ask what for you would use the mac address?

Saturday, April 7, 2007 7:21 AM
  •  cek wrote:

Our general philosophy for the SDK was to enable things in the API that were not possible via standard Windows API calls. In the case of the MAC address, given the hostname, you can get the IP address, and using the networking APIs, you can discover the MAC address.

Can I ask what for you would use the mac address?

I'm not the original poster and personally have no plans to do this but...

one potential use for the MAC address is to construct a wake-on-lan magic packet to switch on a client PC.

Monday, April 9, 2007 4:47 PM
  • "Can I ask what for you would use the mac address?"

To generate magic packet WOL requests.

Monday, April 9, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Mashman,

You can get the ipaddress from IComputerInfo and then use the ip helper api (see iphlpapi.h in the platform sdk) to get the mac address.  The function you want is GetIpNetTable.

Murray

Monday, April 9, 2007 8:39 PM
  • Thanks
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:29 PM
  • Maybe I'm completely missing it, but where it the link to the actual SDK download?

I've been through all the docs, but I see no link.

Thanks, B

Friday, April 13, 2007 1:56 AM
  •  Anonymous wrote:

Maybe I'm completely missing it, but where it the link to the actual SDK download?

I've been through all the docs, but I see no link.

Thanks, B

The docs you reached through the link at the top of this thread are the SDK, I'm afraid.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 2:12 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The docs you reached through the link at the top of this thread are the SDK, I'm afraid.

It's common for SDK's to consist only of documentation.  From the "Programming Tutorial":

The API for Windows Home Server consists of two separate .dll files, HomeServer.dll, for use when extending the Windows Home Server platform, and HomeServerExt.dll, for use exclusively to extend the Windows Home Server Console.

These DLLs were installed with beta 2 WHS in c:\programming files\windows home server. 

Friday, April 13, 2007 4:16 AM
  • I am not sure if this is going to be helpful.

Remember that the target is to Wake a pc which is... Turned Off.

If its MAC is cashed on the router fine... otherwise there is no mapping since the pc is off.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:58 PM
  • Will the SDK be made available in an offline format?
    Friday, April 27, 2007 4:39 AM
  • OK, I finally decided to dive in, rather than simply keep salivating over the potential of WHS (Oh, that's what those letters mean - some days I'm slower than the slow usual days).

Here's some things I noticed in an effort to get up to speed:

On this page: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

• The link to documentation goes to the same download page for download of the .iso images
      Is there separate documentation or is it included in the material for download?  (A hint would help.)
    • The link on the SDK goes to the top of MSDN.  A link to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa306570.aspx would be great.  Also, indication that there is no download (I looked in downloads first) but just on-line documentation would help.

Now I get to figure what box I am going to use for this, or should I go get a fresh one.  Hmm.

- Dennis

PS: Woo hoo FTM says I'm at 85%, all right ...

Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Now that you mention it and we are so close to RTM, we could use a list of recent dev and addins that beta testers could wander about and test.

Come one Dev Dudes....... like Simple Simon said ...... "show me your wares"

BTW... RC1 install flawless. migrating data from the early beta system to the new, one which will no doubt be the final resting place of data. Love the TB man!!!

Even bought a new Antec Titan server case for the moment, quiet case lots of power and bays.

When it goes RTM plan on converting RC to final via USB stick

Why have 10 bays and one dedicated to a needless rom?

As a MS Support Tech I have been prepping the customers to this " obe hell ova awsome OS' coming to a OEM vendor or system builder near you

The intrest has been very good and receive email wanting more info........ I just send them links to the numerous Blogs and reviews.

Once again....... come on Dev Dudes anti up!

PS Co-Beta Binary Lovers... keep posting your ideas.... when this goes final it would just be feature added bonus when the average Joe can download and install a kick add-in

PPS For those who can write code... 10K would give you one awsome vacation in the south this winter!!!\

Getter Done!!!

Techno-Crat

Yer average TechnoGeek

" No Wife, No Life, No Strife"

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:32 AM
  • I am unable to find the 2 dll files. I installed the RC and there is no folder c:\programming files. Can somebody e-mail those two files to me:
    shutout5591 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks for all of your help!
    Friday, July 6, 2007 3:44 PM
  • It appears that the links to the two DLL files are no longer part of the SDK download.  Where can I actually download these two files?

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, November 26, 2007 1:43 PM
  • The files have never been officially available for download from MSDN, except as part of the old beta installs and currently the only official way to get them is to grab them from an existing Windows Home Server machine (located in its C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ directory).

Another, less official was is as part of this Channel 9 Sandbox post that was made by WHS Lead Developer Chris Gray where he shows off how to build a little software using them and WHS.

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:12 PM