Moved Data from one drive to another..now data is missing and can't get to some files? RRS feed

• Question

• I think I made a huge mistake and need your assistance.  I have several folders setup on my WHS box with numerous drives.  I wanted one drive to house my DVD collection so I turned disk duplication off on all the files and then went into Windows Explorer, browed to the FS directory and proceded to move all my DVD folder onto one drive.  I then migrated all my other folders to one drive as well.  I did this because I thought that the system drive contained files and i'm building a new Home Server so I thought I would consolidate and reinstall.

Now it appears that data is missing? I look in WHS console and my storage got smaller and I don't know why?  All I did was move my data and now it's gone?

Please HELP!! 
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:19 PM

Answers

• harddrive41 said:

I think I made a huge mistake and need your assistance.  I have several folders setup on my WHS box with numerous drives.  I wanted one drive to house my DVD collection so I turned disk duplication off on all the files and then went into Windows Explorer, browed to the FS directory and proceded to move all my DVD folder onto one drive.  I then migrated all my other folders to one drive as well.  I did this because I thought that the system drive contained files and i'm building a new Home Server so I thought I would consolidate and reinstall.

Now it appears that data is missing? I look in WHS console and my storage got smaller and I don't know why?  All I did was move my data and now it's gone?

Please HELP!! 

First, you can't use WHS like other OSes.  You must let it control the hard drives, folders, and files.  The only supported way to access the files on the server is through the network shares.  The reason it's "missing" is because WHS no longer knows where the files are.  My suggestion would be to remove each drive from the server, connect it to another PC, and copy the data from X:\DE\shares (x = letter assigned to that drive by the client OS) to another location (also DE is a hidden folder so make sure your client is setup so it can see Hidden Files and Folders).  Once you have gathered all of your data, do a New Installation of WHS, then copy all of the data back to the server through the network shares.

(The other option would be to try a Server Reinstallation, but since you were messing with the folder structure behind the scenes, I wouldn't recommend it.)
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:36 PM

All replies

• harddrive41 said:

I think I made a huge mistake and need your assistance.  I have several folders setup on my WHS box with numerous drives.  I wanted one drive to house my DVD collection so I turned disk duplication off on all the files and then went into Windows Explorer, browed to the FS directory and proceded to move all my DVD folder onto one drive.  I then migrated all my other folders to one drive as well.  I did this because I thought that the system drive contained files and i'm building a new Home Server so I thought I would consolidate and reinstall.

Please HELP!! 

First, you can't use WHS like other OSes.  You must let it control the hard drives, folders, and files.  The only supported way to access the files on the server is through the network shares.  The reason it's "missing" is because WHS no longer knows where the files are.  My suggestion would be to remove each drive from the server, connect it to another PC, and copy the data from X:\DE\shares (x = letter assigned to that drive by the client OS) to another location (also DE is a hidden folder so make sure your client is setup so it can see Hidden Files and Folders).  Once you have gathered all of your data, do a New Installation of WHS, then copy all of the data back to the server through the network shares.

(The other option would be to try a Server Reinstallation, but since you were messing with the folder structure behind the scenes, I wouldn't recommend it.)
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Should I remove the disk using the remove disk command from WHS or just take the disk out?
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:05 PM
  • In this case - power the server down and remove the disks physically, since each further experiment may remove also your data finally.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Ok..thanks to you both.  I'll let you know how I make out.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Bummer that you did that! I hope you recover all your files. Just as a reference, MS has a white paper on WHS's Drive Extender technology. It's located here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/support.mspx. It will give you some background on how WHS storage is set up and why moving things around like you did was a no-no (sorry for the technical jargon;-)!!).

Regards,
    Scott
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:01 PM