WHS 2011 Install... Invalid Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a copy of the office whs 2011 soaftward.  I did a fresh install on my server which was runing WHS v1.  I at at the point where i need to enter the prodcut key and i am being told it is the invalid key and cannot proceed any further.. Does anyone have any idea what is happening here? 

Thanks.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• Where did you get your copy of Windows Home Server 2011? Was there a COA sticker in the package? Was there a product key in the package?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I have a similar problem. I tried installing the WHS 2011 from a genuine Microsoft disk (even checked the CD part number with Microsoft phone support) but the product ID on the COA sticker was rejected.

I have no video on my server (HP EX475 with 2 GB memory and 64-bit CPU). So I used an HP desktop system to format the System disk and complete the first phase of the WHS 2011 install, having left the product ID blank.

When asked to reboot, I shut down the HP desktop, removed the disk and inserted it into the server.
    I was able to remote into the server but the administrator password was rejected.
    I was also unable to install client software using http://<serverIP>/connect because the server rejected the administrator password there too.

I have since tried to install the WHS 2011 software using a USB drive and a cfg.ini but I install does not complete, even though the cfg.ini is modified during the install. 

_______________ Bubbles are good, closer than clouds.
    • Proposed as answer by Babe in Arms Friday, January 6, 2012 10:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Babe in Arms Friday, January 6, 2012 10:22 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 2:10 AM
  • You may need to do an unattended install. While Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 installs from CD without an answer file, I have known Windows Server to require an answer file.

The product ID was accepted when I placed it in the answer file at the root of a USB drive and booted the HP desktop system using the Windows Home Server 2011 CD.

The next step is to install the software on the server. 

Bubbles are good, closer than clouds.
    Friday, January 6, 2012 10:39 PM