none
SQL 2008 R2 BI Certification vs. SQL 2012 BI Certification RRS feed

• Question

• I am just begining to prepare for SQL Server 2008 BI Cert (70-448), currently focusing on SSIS.  Should I continue down this path or begin SQL Server 2012 preparation and training?  Would it be "easier" or smoother transition to get 08 certifcation and then "upgrade" to 2012 certification?
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

like Jeff said, the exam not only covers SSIS. I also have not seen any upgrade exam from SQL Server 2008 to 2012, but Microsoft recommends in most cases to start with the 2008 exams and then upgrade them to 2012. So there will be an upgrade exam.

More information can be found on http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab2

If you do not have any experience with SSAS or SSRS you should stay tuned and wait for the new certifications and learn more on the both technologies. Especially SSAS will have some changes which will be reflected in the new exams.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:51 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The 70-448 exam also covers SSRS and SSAS, not just SSIS.

I would concentrate on 2012 if I was you.  I haven't seen any 2012 upgrade exams yet so not sure when they'l be available.  Doing 2008 first will not make getting 2012 any easier.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

like Jeff said, the exam not only covers SSIS. I also have not seen any upgrade exam from SQL Server 2008 to 2012, but Microsoft recommends in most cases to start with the 2008 exams and then upgrade them to 2012. So there will be an upgrade exam.

More information can be found on http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab2

If you do not have any experience with SSAS or SSRS you should stay tuned and wait for the new certifications and learn more on the both technologies. Especially SSAS will have some changes which will be reflected in the new exams.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:51 AM
    Answerer
  • SSIS is my starting point for the exam preperation.  I have the training kit but like I said I just started it and was wondering if it's worth continuing with the rest of the book and preparation for the 08 exam and wether it will make the 2012 exam "easier"...looks like it's not.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:15 PM
  • I don't know if the 2012 exams will be easier. There will be more exams for BI developers, so you can choose between more certifications (specific to your job role/knowledge). If you're just a BI beginner I agree with you that you should wait for the new exams. Otherwise you can give it a try. But that's your decision. I have taken the BI MCTS some months ago and you should have some practical experience, especially with every three aspects of SQL Server BI.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:47 PM
    Answerer