Microsoft Money RRS feed

• Question

• I have read all responses to Microsoft Money and the mny5323.surfplace keeps popping up. I have removed KB3140768 to no avail. My computer was rebooted this morning and then the problem started. I click Money to open and each time a different mnyxxx appears - twice to access Money and once to access my checking or savings account. Unfortunately all of my backups are current and Sample does the same thing. Microsoft - help! Windows 10
    Monday, March 21, 2016 11:08 PM

All replies

• See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917377

I don't know if you will make anything of it, but there it is. It certainly is not written for a Windows 10 user.  Let us know how what happens.

Also, what version of Microsoft Money are you using?

Further thoughts: What happens if you open Money by right-clicking the launch icon and choosing RunAsAdministrator? I don't have reason to think that will help, but is easy to try.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 12:10 AM
  • Here's your key sentence: It certainly is not written for a Windows 10 user.  I am using Windows 10 and those items don't appear.  I'll admit, I like Windows 10 but odd things happen periodically that I don't understand.  Even though Windows 98 and XP were way easier to use, I do prefer Windows 10.  Now if I could get rid of the popup surfplace and surf.mar@.  I am running Money Plus Deluxe Ver. 17.0
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 1:01 AM
  • I would reinstall Money Plus Deluxe Sunset (link in second post in forum currently) followed by the patch (link in first post in forum) The reason I have hope that will work is that others have not been having the surfplace and surf.mar  I am not confident of course.

After things are working, you might also consider looking at PocketSense for downloading transactions from many credit cards and brokers. The broker downloads usually include end-of-day quotes. Also MSMoneyQuotes is cheap one time charge, and lets you download quotes even mid-day.

And while we are thinking of it, I like to have my scheduled backups go to a USB flash drive in case my main drive fails.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:14 AM
  • I also had mnyxx.surfplace popping up whenever I launched Microsoft Money with a Windows 10 computer.

I had previously used adwcleaner to get rid of adware and, when looking in the quarantine, saw that surfshim.view had been removed.

I reinstated this item and now all seems to be back to normal. (The only Thing I had to go on was the inclusion of the word surf in the file name.)

Early days, but all seems to be running normally.

Can anyone else link their problem with running adwcleaner?

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:18 PM
  • I also had mnyxx.surfplace popping up whenever I launched Microsoft Money with a Windows 10 computer.

I had previously used adwcleaner to get rid of adware and, when looking in the quarantine, saw that surfshim.view had been removed.

I reinstated this item and now all seems to be back to normal. (The only Thing I had to go on was the inclusion of the word surf in the file name.)

Very nice observation and report. What version of Money area you using? I suspect the files vary with version.

Using Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, I found I have a file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\
    called MNYBD5D.surfplace and
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles" has these:

surf.mar
    surf32.mar
    surfinet.dll
    surfshim.dll

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:19 PM

Very nice observation and report. What version of Money area you using? I suspect the files vary with version.

Using Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, I found I have a file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\
    called MNYBD5D.surfplace and
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles" has these:

surf.mar
    surf32.mar
    surfinet.dll
    surfshim.dll

I am using Microsoft Money version 14.0.120.730 copyright 2004 Microsoft.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Ok, to all that responded to my post.  From Cal Learner: I would reinstall Money Plus Deluxe Sunset

That is what I did and now Microsoft Money loads without the surfplace crap.  Sorry, Cal, I tried to respond to you last night but Microsoft wouldn't let me in (probably due to slow speed internet).  Now, if there's a forum on the black screen that appears each time I plug in a simm card from my digital camera, I would like to know (how to get rid of it).

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:38 PM

• I am using Microsoft Money version 14.0.120.730 copyright 2004 Microsoft.

FYI, that is Money 2005 despite the disk just saying "Microsoft Money:. If you ever need to reinstall, your disk will not help. You will want to install from the appropriate Money 2005 installation file linked to by what is currently the second (sticky) thread in this forum.

Thanks for your input.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:46 PM
  • You have Money 2005, not Money Sunset.

Money 2005 14.0.120.730 (the version installed from disk) had a bug - details unknown - which was fixed in 14.0.120.1105, an online update which is no longer available.

It may be that bug which is causing the problem. Install the appropriate regional version of Money from the links in the second post in this forum.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:56 AM
  • I downloaded Money Plus Deluxe Sunset and the surfplace didn't appear.  This morning it was back.  When I click on Money it comes up asking Do You Want to Open or Save this file.  So, I reloaded the USMoneyDlxSunset and now it's working again. Should I find the patch you mentioned and download it?  This is getting to be a real PIA.  Possibly the next time the computer reboots surf.mar@ will be back...

Rene Smythe

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 6:48 PM
  • I downloaded Money Plus Deluxe Sunset and the surfplace didn't appear.  This morning it was back.  When I click on Money it comes up asking Do You Want to Open or Save this file.  So, I reloaded the USMoneyDlxSunset and now it's working again. Should I find the patch you mentioned and download it?  This is getting to be a real PIA.  Possibly the next time the computer reboots surf.mar@ will be back...

Rene Smythe

Sorry to hear that. Based on the info from malrichvic,it seems possible that surf.mar is being removed by your anti-malware program for some reason. Check to see if that file is present when things are working and when things are not working. Check "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles"

If that file disappears after reinstall, then you want to figure out why and stop it.

You should apply the patch whenever you reinstall Sunset. However you might wait until the surf.mar problem has been dealt with. I don't think that surf.mar problem is associated with not having the patch yet.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Ok, problem solved.  Adwcleaner took out HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Surfboard.SurfShim17.View so the next time I ran that cleaner I kept it from erasing the file.  BTW, I do not have MNYCoreFiles in the Money folder.

Another problem has cropped up with MS Money Plus Deluxe.  My monitor went out so I put up a new ViewSonic and now the sound when opening Money is not there.

Rene Smythe

Sunday, March 27, 2016 9:10 PM
  • Do you hear sounds from other programs?  Is is just the Money opening sound that is gone or all the sounds in Money?

As for the MNYCoreFiles folder, to see this you need to uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" option in File Explorer.

Bill Becker

Sunday, March 27, 2016 9:32 PM
  • The MNYCoreFiles folder is not there.  Someone asked about sound.  Money is the only program that has lost sound - everything else works fine.  I even checked inside Money and the sounds in Tools, Program settings Sounds is checked for sound.  I sure wish Microsoft hadn't let it sunset like Picture-It 9...

Rene Smythe

Sunday, March 27, 2016 10:12 PM
  • The MnyCoreFiles folder is there.  Money won't run without it.  If you can't see it, it's because of your settings in Windows Explorer.  See my previous post or post back with your version of Windows and I can give a more detailed explanation on how to see that folder.

Money sounds can sometime be messed up when changing other setting on your computer.  The simplest way to fix it is to uninstall Money and then re-install it.

Bill Becker

Monday, March 28, 2016 12:40 AM
  • Thanks Bill, I still cannot find the MnyCoreFiles folder.  All that's in the Money folder is Insights, Money Plus, Readme and Sample - no sub folders.  Running Windows 10.  OK, I deleted Money from the computer, ran CCleaner then reinstalled Money - still no sound.  New monitor is a Viewsonic LED.

Rene Smythe

Monday, March 28, 2016 1:35 AM
  • Thanks Bill, I still cannot find the MnyCoreFiles folder.  All that's in the Money folder is Insights, Money Plus, Readme and Sample - no sub folders.  Running Windows 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/

Set Folder Options in "File Explorer" to "Show hidden files" and to not "Hide protected operating system files".  This will let you see the folder.

Monday, March 28, 2016 2:03 AM
  • The problem with Money sounds is unlikely to be related to your new monitor.

As for the MnyCoreFiles folder, for Windows 10, open File Explorer and select View> Options> Change Folder and Search Options.  In the Folder Options window, select the View tab and then scroll down to the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" option. Uncheck it.

Because you are running Money Plus on Windows 10, there is another change that you need to make. 

If you haven't done so already, have  a look at the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

It describes the need to replace the mnyob99.dll file with a patched version when upgrading to Windows 10.  It points to this site:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/

which contains instructions on how to do the replacement and this link to a download of the patched file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zj0amk06ax57cfg/mnyob99.dll

When on that download page, be careful to just download the mnyob99.dll file (9.09Mb).  The other links are for different programs.

This fixes some known problems and it may fix your missing sounds also.  Post back is you need further help with this. and let us know if it works for you.

Bill Becker

Monday, March 28, 2016 2:23 AM
  • Ok, so I downloaded the patch and had to jump through hoops to either overwrite or delete the .dll file as it was in use by another program.  Finally I spotted the culprit - Insights - and then to figure out how to close it down.  Put the new download in and still NO music.  MS Money worked fine for the past several months with Windows 10 but when I hooked up the new monitor the sound went away and still won't play. Now, it asked if I wanted the Insights to come back and I checked NO.

Rene Smythe

Monday, March 28, 2016 4:26 AM