Problem - Install needs CD/DVD Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Proliant N36L Microserver, 8Gb RAM and a 250Gb SATA HDD and no DVD or CD drive. I prepared a bootable USB stick from the WHS2011 ISO using the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, and I set the BIOS SATA mode to IDE.

The ISO file SHA-1 hash is corrrect, and I have created the bootable USB a couple of times.

At this stage. I do not want to add extra storage in the other drive bays - I just want to complete an install on the 250Gb SATA (later, I would like to use the DVD bay to mount the boot disk, perhaps an SSD, leaving the 4 drive bays for storage). That is, this is a test install of WHS2011.

Searching elsewhere (WeGotServed forums), this thread suggests everything should work with a USB install.

The install gets to where it wants a CD/DVD driver, and allows me to browse for it. I can see the USB as C: and can browse it, but despite pointing at numerous folders on the drive it cannot proceed, and I have to restart the computer.

I can't go further. Repeating from a complete power down gives the same story.

Any suggestions?

Friday, July 15, 2011 6:36 AM

Answers

• Installing from a flash drive relies on the BIOS being able to properly deal with the device at the appropriate times. Unfortunately, not every system can do so. My Windows Home Server 2011 server can't, for example: I have to manage the boot order manually for each reboot, and it's just not worth the effort.

So installing a DVD for the installation, and removing it later, is likely to be the best you can do. Your alternative is to contact HP (the supplier of the hardware and thus the BIOS) and see if they can provide additional guidance.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by gxdata Friday, July 15, 2011 4:49 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:17 PM

All replies

• Why would you need a driver for a CD/DVD that is not there? Where did you get the .iso? The  released product comes on a DVD (not an .iso) and you need to follow a slightly different procedure to get it to boot from a USB stick - it works as that's how I installed my production system

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Why would you need a driver for a CD/DVD that is not there? Where did you get the .iso? The  released product comes on a DVD (not an .iso) and you need to follow a slightly different procedure to get it to boot from a USB stick - it works as that's how I installed my production system

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

I have an MSDN subscription, and the ISO file is available there. The SHA-1 hashcode is given at the MSDN Subscription page for that download, and my downloaded file matches that. I have prepared the USB stick, and it works - up to the point I described. This is the RTM product. No mystery at all.

You ask why would I need a driver for a CD/DVD that is not there? Exactly.

So, I have installed a SATA DVD R/W device in the HP Microserver, and right now I am preparing a DVD to use in it.

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:57 AM
  • I agree - very strange. I have installed all my pre-production versions of "Vail" from an iso using a stick as well as the production version of WHW2011 from the DVD, also on a USB stick. In all cases I never had a CD/DVD attached and was not asked for drivers. Hope your install goes well.

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Installing from a flash drive relies on the BIOS being able to properly deal with the device at the appropriate times. Unfortunately, not every system can do so. My Windows Home Server 2011 server can't, for example: I have to manage the boot order manually for each reboot, and it's just not worth the effort.

So installing a DVD for the installation, and removing it later, is likely to be the best you can do. Your alternative is to contact HP (the supplier of the hardware and thus the BIOS) and see if they can provide additional guidance.

• Marked as answer by gxdata Friday, July 15, 2011 4:49 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Yes, that is what I decided to do Ken. Then, I had no end of problems (probably some connection problem), once the SATA cable to the DVD was connected. The HDD disappeared from the system, even after removing the DVD.

That stumped me for about half a day.

It is installing now, looking like a normal Windows 7 install (I haven't seena HWS2011 /SBS2011/WinServer 2008 R2 install), so things are looking brighter.

[edit +1 day]

All going OK, just waiting for one of the drive pooling add-ins to be released. Or should I use some RAID scheme in my available 3 drives bays in this little cube? Subject for another question / discussion, obviously.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

• Edited by gxdata Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:25 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:55 PM
  • ... looking like a normal Windows 7 install ...

That's about right.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:07 PM