What files are backed up by WHS with standard backup profile? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS installation backs up all my pc's automatically. I assumed that since one of the touted features of WHS is the ability to restore a computer installation that crashed. So I assumed that it must do something like mirroring the client machine if you were supposed to be able to do something like a restore of a crashed machine and therefore all data files must be backed up.

Anyway, my sons laptop got the blue screen of death. So I reinstalled XP SP3 and WHS connector. He had a lot of iTunes files on his laptop. But I was unable to find any on the WHS under his laptops backup.

Does WHS not back up iTunes music files as part of the default backup? Also what about outlook emails and addresses?

If not is there any custom configuration to accomplish this in the future so that these files are not lost?

Any help is appreciated.

Lewis

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:49 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the reply. I did not tweek anything during the installation, I just went with defaults for everything.

I will take another look.

Regards,

Lewis

• Marked as answer by Oscar1954 Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:55 PM

All replies

• My WHS installation backs up all my pc's automatically. I assumed that since one of the touted features of WHS is the ability to restore a computer installation that crashed. So I assumed that it must do something like mirroring the client machine if you were supposed to be able to do something like a restore of a crashed machine and therefore all data files must be backed up.

Anyway, my sons laptop got the blue screen of death. So I reinstalled XP SP3 and WHS connector. He had a lot of iTunes files on his laptop. But I was unable to find any on the WHS under his laptops backup.

Does WHS not back up iTunes music files as part of the default backup? Also what about outlook emails and addresses?

If not is there any custom configuration to accomplish this in the future so that these files are not lost?

Any help is appreciated.

Lewis

It should have backed them up.  WHS backs up everything except for a few exceptions (which are listed during the backup configuration process).  You might want to look at the backup configuration for that client and make sure you didn't inadvertently select it to not backup those files.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. I did not tweek anything during the installation, I just went with defaults for everything.

I will take another look.

Regards,

Lewis

• Marked as answer by Oscar1954 Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:55 PM