Windows Home Server 2011 external IP address RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know the mechanism that the home server uses to register an ip address with the *.homeserver.com domain name?

I have 2 connections to the internet and the ip address that it has chosen to register is the slower of the 2.  I guess that the dns client makes a connection to a server every now and then and the ip address that the connection is made from is used.  If I could find out the ip address of that external server; I could add a route so that that connection prefers to use the better link.

If anyone has this info then it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:45 AM

All replies

• Normally when you have two Internet connections, you have them configured (at the router) so that one is primary, and the other secondary/failover. So I would suggest that this is a router configuration issue; your router is configured to use the slower of your two connections in preference to the faster.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:58 PM
  • The router I have is not anything like a Cisco, but is a SOHO type all in one with 2 Wan interfaces.  You can weight them so that outbound connections are bias to one over the other, but it will still use the other sometimes (i.e. you can't have it enabled and not use it sometimes - don't ask me why :) )

In my case I have heavily bias it to use the faster one, which is why I am confused as to why the IP on the slower has been registered with "*.homeserver.com".  I was wondering if anyone knew the details of how the ip address is registered so I could try to force it to use my other IP.

Thanks,

Rob

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Done a bit more testing and if I disable the slower interface then dns eventually resolves the x.homeserver.com url to the IP address that I want.  However if I re-enable it again it seems to flip back to the slow link again.  This is dispite the fact that this link should be rarely used.  I have checked and my router has UPNP disabled so I can't see any way that WHS is getting this ip address directly from the router.

I really need to know detail of the mechanism that WHS is using.  If anyone has any info regarding this, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:04 PM