WHS 2011 connector install fails after BMR and Windows 10 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I had trouble upgrading my desktop to Windows 10

After several tries and an error on my part I had success after a BMR from my WHS 2011 back to Windows 7 and then the upgrade to Windows 10 proceeded OK.

I can RDP to my server and download the client connector but it fails to install.

I removed the connector after the upgrade, rebooted both machines.

I've restarted both machines several times

I have GPT drives on this computer. The server tells me the hotfixes have been installed. Following the trail

ClientCore.msi.log  says

Update 'Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB2781278)' could not be installed. Error code 1603

but I believe they are already installed...or is this a client side install?

I am stumped. Please help. Thank you.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

You may need to install the following hotfix to let your system support GPT formatted disk.

Windows Home Server 2011 does not support client backup on Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)-based computers that contain a GUID partition table (GPT)-formatted disk.

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2781272

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Friday, August 5, 2016 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alvwan Monday, August 8, 2016 1:38 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I can find the Cleanup Utility. Do I dare run this on Windows 10? It appears to be for Vista.

Thank you,

Kevin

I used it on all OS between Vista and Windows 10 already. It does nothing else than removing the Installer related information from the registry, so as long as there are no dependencies with other applications installed as a package and regular uninstalling left an entry, you should be safe.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Make sure that:
    1. Windows 10 is connect to the same network with WHS via wired connection.
    2. The Windows 10 is fully updated with Windows Update/hotfix.
    3. Prerequisites(reference https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/network-connection-requirements-2.aspx) are met. 
    4. Download the Connector packet to Windows 10 local, right click the packet and run it as compatibility mode.

Besides, MSI 1603 errors are a challenge to chase down. Your best bet is to trawl back through your event/WU logs on your PC to the time the errors began, and see if a software installation or software update was done around that time. then, research that, or remove if it possible.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Monday, July 25, 2016 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:13 AM
  • The hotfix is part of the UEFI hotfix on the server.

KB2781278 says: The client hotfix package adds backup support for UEFI-based computers that contain a GPT-formatted disk. The client hotfix package is part of the server update. When a client computer logs on to the server, the client is automatically updated.

Seems this part fails somehow. Error 1603 has various causes, I would assume the hotfix was installed already and did not get removed properly.

Usually the Windows Installer Cleanup utility helps in such cases to remove the blocking information in the registry, unfortunately Microsoft stopped to deploy this due to some unwanted side effects in some situations. You still may find it on other download sites.

Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Monday, July 25, 2016 8:48 AM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:45 AM
  • Thank you for the reply!

I've just returned to this problem installation.

OK,

1)yes same network  and wired connection

2)yes, all updated, fresh boot

3)yes, although Windows 10 is not listed as compatible (side note..I have two other machines on Windows 10 that completed the upgrade w/o issue and they stayed connected to the server and still backup fine) Something occurred during my BMR.

4)Tried this using Window 7 & 8 modes. Same failure

Event ID 1023  Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector - Update 'Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB2781278)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\ClientCore.msi.log

and

Even ID 121 Driver install failed, result=0x80004005 for devnode 'ROOT\BACKUPREADER\INSTANCE'

so,

The reinstall set many installation dates as 7/14. Searching for a cause gets pretty hard. I do have two Microsoft updates listed for 7/14.

Thank you again for your help,

Kevin

Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I can find the Cleanup Utility. Do I dare run this on Windows 10? It appears to be for Vista.

Thank you,

Kevin

Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:26 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

You may need to install the following hotfix to let your system support GPT formatted disk.

Windows Home Server 2011 does not support client backup on Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)-based computers that contain a GUID partition table (GPT)-formatted disk.

A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2781272

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Thank you,

Kevin

I used it on all OS between Vista and Windows 10 already. It does nothing else than removing the Installer related information from the registry, so as long as there are no dependencies with other applications installed as a package and regular uninstalling left an entry, you should be safe.

Olaf

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:16 AM